Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Pearl Snare project

Hello there,

I'm working on a Pearl snare that had it's strainer parts ripped out of the shell. I think I can solve most problems, but have a stupid question:

The strainer part with the throw-off, has a spring and nut on the threaded rod at it's top.( sorry, for the tech jargon...nyuk,nyuk.) Does the spring go on the outside of shell, and the nut inside? That seems right,but I want to be sure.

Also, anyone got a badge for this?

thanks, larryD' Drummer

Posted on 13 years ago

Definitely spring on the outside.I'd be reinforcing that area with a piece of another 14"shell.

Posted on 13 years ago

Yes Teverson-sr is right spring on the outside of shell..Another way to fix the shell is used a big metal washer all you would have to do is drill two holes on the washer for the mounting screws for the strainer....Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for info. I'm using a basswood(?) plywood, about 1/8" thick. I cut it in strips,soaked them in water overnite and bent them around inside of shell. I cut a small piece to fit into snare shell on the side with the large hole, using wood filler around edges.ThenI put strips over the holes, on the inside. Carpenter's glue was used on some cracks. I varnished the inside of the shell also. The shell had suffered alot of stress.( I think it was beaten up by a body builder...seroiusly!) The wrap is another problem. I can't heat it to bend it back. I glued it back down and sanded it. It still bulges slightly, but I think the strainer will hide it.

I'll keep ya posted! larryWalking

Posted on 13 years ago

some before and inprogress pics...

Posted on 13 years ago

Some more before and after. She's still not collector quality, but she works! (and that cool wrap...) thanks for help, tips, and watching!

larryYes Sir

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here