Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Pearl silver logo script kit w/ beech shells

One of my friends just stumbled into an old sparkle blue Pearl kit, silver script logo, so sometime in the 60s. As we were looking them over, I noticed that the grain on the shells didn't run vertical, but horizontal. Looking closer they are a beech shell, very nicely constructed, no re-rings. Anyone else ever seen beech shells in an old MIJ kit? (I am aware that Yamaha is Japanese and has made beech drums for years, but in the 60s?

Thanks.

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello mike17,

Yes I have seen the horizontal grain on the inner ply

It was also a Pearl script logo kit

I am not much of a wood guy so far so I will assume it is beech

Does the bass drum in question feature 10 lugs per side?

The snare drum if present as well?

On my kit that inner ply with the horizontal grain

has a few cracks running along the grain as well

I would guess due to age or temperature extremes over the years

3 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

I would've said Birch. I have also had a set with a birch inner ply like Kenwood's set.

2 attachments
Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 7 years ago

Yep would be Japanese Birch, for the most part the timber used in drums up till the early 80's was purely geographical

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for jumping in guys. Both those kits look birch to me too. However, these are 100% beech, no question. I have seen horizontal grain on MIJs, and the aussie is right, most of the wood used in vintage drums was regional, that is why this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. These shells are very well made, very, very heavy for any MIJ drums and are in amazing shape. Yes, 10 lug bass drum, no snare came with the kit. I will try to grab some pics in the next day or two.

This just has me curious as to WHY this kit is beech, it makes no sense. I have probably handled 150ish MIJ kits over the last 20 years and this is the only beech kit I have seen. I'm leaning towards this being uncommon.

Will update when I have some pics to share.

Posted on 7 years ago

Posting clear pictures of the interiors will really help to see what you've got. I'd also like to see the hardware...lugs, badges, tone controls, etc. I'm also very familiar with the shells that were being produced during this time period, so this kit really intrigues me!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here