Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Pearl guys-need advice 70's hi hat clutch

Guys, in my quest to keep my vintage Pearls authentic, it appears I may have been using a faux cheapie hi hat clutch for my 70's era hi hat. Anyone out there know what the correct one is? I can't seem to see enough clarity on the Pearl catalog pages. Thanks ahead of time for your help. dean Help2

Posted on 8 years ago

A seller on eBay says it's this one. Small detail I know, but this is where the answers are found.

Posted on 8 years ago

Yeah, and that seller is advertising it as a "President" clutch when they came on stands that could have come with any kit. Might as well put BONHAM or BUDDY RICH.... maybe SUPER RARE! on it. eBay sellers...

This pic is from the one off of a late 60's early 70s kit I have. The wing screw is 'wrong.' You'd have to go through the catalogs. I think I've seen that hex top style up into the mid 70s... Check the catalogs. Keep in mind that some older rods are smaller so the older clutches will not fit on newer, thicker rods. This one fits on a Ludwig Spur Lock (Hercules?) but not a newer Gibraltar. I don't know if Pearl changed rod sizes at any time.

Have you determined the age range of your stand? Have you checked the catalogs? Care to post a pic of your stand?

1 attachments
Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 8 years ago

Sheesh, a phenomenon known as work keeps getting in the way of social drum life....finally here's pics of the hi-hat stand. I'd love to have the right gear once and for all for my Pearls, particularly when I pass the drums onto my children. Thanks for your time. D.

Posted on 8 years ago

Nice hi hat pedal. I had one back in the 70's I bought new. Looks like the right clutch pic you posted from what I can remember. Had a nice solid feel and very well made. Easy to adjust tension too.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago

I have one of those and like it a lot. Don't use it much because someone overtightened the leg adjustment screw/collar and flattened out the tube, making it difficult to fold up for transport.

Posted on 8 years ago

Glenn, Pearl was stilled viewed cautiously as substandard foreign drums in the early 70s. Not so, as I think Pearl really made an incredible jump in quality in the early 70s with this line and style of drums. That hi-hat is smooth as silk and I have barely made an adjustment on it in 30-some years.

teverson-sr maybe a pipe fitter or a plumber who is good at bending tubing could get you fixed up? You couldn't be the first here with bent or messed up hardware. Maybe put it out as a question on the general question part of the forum and see what info is out there. d.

Posted on 8 years ago

I saw four of these hi hat stands already on my local classifieds for sale in the last few months for about $25-$30 apiece, all original..

Posted on 8 years ago

Side note for bent bars - I've had a few over the years that has been over tightened by me or others prior to me getting them. What I've done ( when applicable ) is take another piece of tubing that just fits through ( smooth but not a lot of room between the two ) and whack it through. More often than not that fixes and bends. Doesn't work for all, but it's worked for me before.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here