Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Pearl Free Floating Snare

I've recently acquired a Pearl Free Floating Snare. It's a maple shell, with a serial number of 230224 on it. The badge also says it was made in Taiwan. I have absolutely no idea how much the drum is worth or what year it's from...although the person I bought it from said it was more than likely from the 70s. I paid $75.00 for it, so I'm not gonna complain.

However, I've searched the internet for a good hour now for more info on this particular drum and its origins (other than where it was made) but my search has proven to be futile as all I keep getting are pages that say it may be difficult to narrow it down.

Might anyone have an idea of where I can find out more about this drum and its approximate value? I understand the concept of "it's worth what someone will pay for it" but I'm sure this particular drum is worth more than the $75.00 I paid for it.

There's currently a similar drum floating (no pun intended?? LOL) around on eBay selling for close to $700.00 and it's in rough shape. My drum is in an H E double hockey sticks of a lot better condition, so judging by that alone my drum should be worth close to $1500!! Just joking folks. Ba dum bum ching!

Posted on 7 years ago

Your drum is one of the hardest to narrow down. Now if we could see it,...that might change.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

As OddBall said, it would be helpful to see some pictures. However, I'm somewhat familiar with the Pearl Free Floating snare drum. These drums first appeared in the 1985 catalog, so, no, it's not from the 70's. While much of Pearl's production did move to Taiwan in the 80's, I believe that the high-end kits and snare drums continued to be made in Japan until at least the 90's. I may be mistaken, but that's the latest info I've heard. A picture of the badge on your drum would help to clarify when it was made.

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

They are great sounding snare drums.

The last two I bought were in the $150 buck range (brass 5" and a brass 3.5")

The most expensive used I bought was $280 5" copper shell.

There were 4 or 5 different generations,with the latest using the shorter snares vs the extended and the click lock snare throw.

My personal preference was for the extended snare models.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here