Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Pearl Export Select

Is there anything special about these shells that are unlike the regular Exports..Im told these are nice drums,and where would they have been made??.........These are mahogany shells im told which put them around 2002?..Im guessing

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 12 years ago

The export series was available for so long and went through so many changes it

is hard for me to remember, but as I remember the export started with luan mahogany shells and at some point got a hardwood int like birch,and I believe they had a shell that utilized poplar/mahogany and birch,which I think was around the 2000's,I think at some point the export shell went to all poplar ,and I think the select also had a hardwood outer ply like Birch that was offered in non wrap finishes,I seem to remember some stain and maybe a couple of lacquer finishes.I also remember that the exports got the "Bridge" lug that was on the higher level drums at some point,I am thinking sometime in the 2000's

I remember that era exports being really good sounding, good value for the money.

Posted on 12 years ago

I agree that Exports are a good value.7/8"pipe mounts are OK if you can isolate them with RIMS or some other type of bracket.And the shell construction changed over the years-I have a set in my attic(shells only)mid 80's,which is probably poplar inner and outer.I bet "select" indicates laquer with stain finish.

Posted on 12 years ago

I use to sell the Export, Export Radicals, and Export Selects. What we were told, was that the 'Selects' were the higher grade of the poplar wood. They also had better rims than the rims on the regular export.

But yeah, really it seemed the big difference was that the selects were offered in the high gloss finishes. Radicals had the coller looking wraps (some resembling vintage white or black pearls), and the regular exports were the solid red, black, blue, white, colors.

1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 12 years ago

So then 300 for a 20,10,12,14 floor,16 floor would be a decent price?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 12 years ago

[html]So then 300 for a 20,10,12,14 floor,16 floor would be a decent price?[/html]

Personally, I think 5 Export select drums in those sizes is a very versatile combination,as long as they are in decent shape that is very fair deal, IMO

Posted on 12 years ago

I think so as well. These drums have the l o n g lugs and were built in 2001. They tell me the shell is mahogany,and the sizes are 20x16,10x8,12x9,14x14,16x16.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 12 years ago

Type "Pearl Export Timeline" in the Google search box and a Pdf link will pop up and that should pretty much tell you what you have.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here