Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Pearl Drum Wraps

Hello all, still a bit of a newbie here...so excuse my ignorance please... I just purchased a Pearl Export kit from the early 90's, the original wraps have been removed and the shells were stained walnut...best bets for removing the stain and rewrapping? Where do you get Pearl wrapping..etc...I also scored some Tama Imperialstar Shells... both concert toms and a bass and two rack toms..(no floor tom) all with the wraps removed, any help in this area would be most appreciated!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Berthold Auerbach
Posted on 13 years ago

If you want to remove a coated finish like a lacquer, you could use a stripper like Citristrip. Removing stain can be difficult because it's generally in the wood, not on it. You can attempt to bleach it out, but if you're going to wrap the drums, I don't know why you'd bother.

There are a number of places to buy drum wrap:

Precision Drum

Drum Supply House, aka drummaker.com

Jammin' Sam

...and more.

Or you could even use vertical grade laminate finishes from Formica or WilsonArt.

Posted on 13 years ago

Fantastic!!! Thanks SkyDog...I have considered the laminate. Still not sure what I'll do... had an idea to warp them in the style of a Ringo kit...not sure if that would be a violation of sorts...;-)

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Berthold Auerbach
Posted on 13 years ago

Nothing wrong with wrapping your Exports in a Ringo finish... but you'll find that the wrap is so expensive that it might not be worth doing to those drums. If you're planning a rewrap, you might consider selling the Exports and sinking the money into a set of beat-up Ludwigs (or Slingys, etc.) that need a rewrap anyway. If you're going to put sweat and money into making your drums something really special, why not start with great shells? :2Cents:

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 13 years ago

Also: welcome!

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Green"]Ehhhh...if the shells are already unwrapped, then the worst of the labor has already been done. So...wrap for a 5 piece kit is gonna run around $300....sure, it's worth it.

What you need to do is abrade the lacquered surface of the shells (you don't have to strip off the old poly/lacquer/stain, as has been noted above). Just sand the finish with like a 100 grade sandpaper so it has some 'tooth' to the surface. This way the contact cement will hold the wrap well and not slough off of a slippery surface easily.

The one thing to keep in mind, for a newbie, is that irregularities in the surface of the shell WILL transmit thru the wrap and make a 'bump', etc. So you really wanna make sure you get the shells smooth before applying the wrap.

There are online tutorials/instructions at some of the places which sell wrap. Drummaker.com and Precisiondrum.com have reasonably good directions on how to do this. My suggestion would be to get a beater shell as well, and try your hand on IT before going for the set. BTW, don't do the double-stick tape on ends only method...it's quick and easy but, maaaan, if you are gonna invest in a rewrap...do it right and adhere the entire wrap to the shell. You can double-stick tape the seams.

It's a bit tricky, but if you are mechanically inclined, it's not that hard. [/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here