Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Patching and Re-wrapping?

I'm thinking of buying a kick in the size I want but with the wrong wrap and with the wrong tom mount. Would it be unnecessary to plug the holes left by the tom mount before re-wrapping the drum? I've seen re-wrapped drums where un-patched holes covered by the wrap start to sink and the drum's surface becomes uneven. I don't know if that's from a crappy wrap job or if it's likely to happen with any drum whose holes aren't patched.

A virgin Ludwig 3-ply champagne sparkle 24x14 doesn't seem likely to come around anytime soon, so I think I'd like to just get the shell I want and worry about making it the drum I want sometime down the line.

What do you guys think?

Zach

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Posted on 8 years ago

I suggest you fill the holes before rewrapping. You'll get a better job.

Posted on 8 years ago

From jerrysterken

I suggest you fill the holes before rewrapping. You'll get a better job.

Thanks, Jerry. I should also mention this is a chrome wrap, which might be a real nightmare when it comes time to remove it. Anyone removed this wrap before?

Zach

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Posted on 8 years ago

I just finished removing the glue from a 76 luddy I tell you you need a lot of patience.

Use a heat gun to soften and remove the wrap, and that is the easy part. For the glue you need to use a combination of goo gone and break cleaner. Apply goo gone wait 15 minutes then 80 grit sandpaper the glue will mostly roll off.

Then use break cleaner and sand quickly. Once you can no longer feel ridges and bump you are ok. In my case I was going for a natural wood finish so i really had to remove every trace.

Depending how big is the hole to patch i would recommend a plug.

For hole 3/8 and smaller use some round wood stock, cut to size (just a smidgen bigger than the depth of the hole) and then glue and sand.

For bigger hole I recommend to still make some kind of a plug then use a 1/8 plywood plate to glue from the inside of the shell supporting the plug. Make sure to use enough glue to fill the gap between the plug and the hole. Clamp and sand.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here