Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Patch Job Complete!

Just thought I'd share that I finished the "patch job" on my Gretsch Round Badge era Bass drum shell that had the "Swiss Cheese" look thanks to a bunch of extra hole drilled in the 70s for a Ludwig Tom Mount.

It was so bad, that what I decided to do, was to fill the holes, patch over them with a piece of matching wrap (or as close as I could get) then install a Rodgers Cymbal mount I had laying around. This hides most of the patch, and is functional, as I will mount my ride in it. Its a players drum, so why not?

The patch is a Triangle shaped patch, and by installing the Rodgers mount, I was able to keep it on the smaller side because the mount iself is using two of the holes!! So, to me, this seemed klike the best solution to this problem.

Is it perfect? No. The holes were too much for that. But I think its worlds better than it was before.

I'll still be on the lookout for a Gretsch Blue Sparkle Shell with NO extra holes, and when I find one, then I'll transfer all the hardware and have a perfect bass drum. But untill then, this will suffice for me nicely.

Many thanks to all here who gave me advice and encouragement. Much appreciated!~!

And...Let me know what you think!

Here are the "Before" and "After" pics for your Drum Restoring enjoyment!

Note: The perfect hole to the Rear Left is for the Consolette mount.

Posted on 13 years ago

Nice job! That looks waaaay better.

Posted on 13 years ago

Nice. But then everything looks better with Rogers hardware on it. Yes Sir

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks!! I appreciate the nice comments.

Want to hear the funny part? I just ran across a dealer with a virgin 20 X 14 Gretch Blue Sparkle shell, and I bought it!!

So, I will be using the new shell in my set and not this one.

Anybody need a patched Blue Sparkle Bass Drum Shell? PM me!!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here