Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Pardon my ignorance... question re: brass parts

First the question, then the back story:

Generally speaking, are unplated brass parts on a drum clear coated in any way?

I have a 4 x 14 Ludwig & Ludwig wood (mahogany?) 6-tube lug Pioneer I'm restoring. I started out with just a shell and badge - which I've managed to somehow prevent from getting tossed for countless decades. Jack Lawton did a ring repair and refinished.

I got brass tube lugs from Corder (Don?). Unplated (bronze?) collar hooks and chrome plated butt from John Aldridge, chrome single flange hoops from Pearl (it's true!), a nickel-plated 338 throw-off from eBay. Tension rods are generic chrome.

I was thinking about leaving the tube lugs and collar hooks unplated, and get brass hoops and tension rods instead. Which brings us to the question above. Should I lacquer (or something) the unplated parts?

Thanks a bunch!

Posted on 14 years ago

I don't know if it would be period correct, but it shouldn't hurt to put a VERY light coat of lacquer on it for protection. Just be aware of moving parts and be sure not to freeze anything up with dried lacquer. And DON'T get it inside lug "holes".

Custom refin 80's era Ludwig rockers

Black rewrap 60's and 70's Ludwig classic mutt kit 12,16,22

Late 70's Ludwig Classic Maple

Ludwig Coliseum,Acrolite,and some weird supro/acro hybrid
Posted on 14 years ago

Mike curotto coats all his restro's with a spray on clear coating! He listed the name of the product and the phone3 where to get it from in one of his previous threads here not all that long ago!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

"Bare naked" brass becomes dull very quickly (depending on climate). If you live near the beach the salt air will cause bad pitting that cannot easily be repaired. So, if you want your brass parts to be shiny and don't want to polish them frequently then they must be clear coated. Spray polyurethane works fine, but the parts must be free of any grease or oil (including finger prints) before you spray them. The aftermarket polished brass parts you can get from drumfactorydirect and others are usually already clear coated.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here