Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Papa Jo Info?

Hello there everyone.

I am currently gathering information and personal anecdotes (or hopefully accurate second hand ones) about the legendary Papa Jo Jones.

I've read the books "Drummin' Men" by Burt Koral, "Traps" by Mel Torme and also the famous Chip Stern/Modern Drummer interview as well as tried to find whatever I can online.

Mr. Jones was not afraid to speak his mind while helping other drummers so I am hoping there is some great information out there from him about drums, drumming and life.

Does anyone have any tales they would like to share?

Thanks,

John

Posted on 18 years ago

the second half of the book Gretsch Drums has stories about Gretsch endorsers by Gretsch endorsers and Charli Persip talks a lot about Jo Jones. he also mentions he did a Downbeat article with him so you might want to look that up.

sounds like a great project. i'd definitely be interested in reading it. good luck!

Posted on 18 years ago

Drummerworld has some stuff on him.

Click Here

David

Webmaster

Also, so as to name 2 other famous and influential drummers with the last name "Jones"

Elvin Jones

Philly Joe Jones

Posted on 18 years ago

You should definitely check out the book "Jazz Anecdotes, Second Time Around" by Bill Crowe Oxford University Press. There are a number of good stories about Jo Jones in the book. Hilarious stuff about tons of jazz musicians.

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks Pete. I've ordered the book and am looking forward to reading it.

Posted on 18 years ago

No problem my friend. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here