Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Paiste 602 vs Old A's/K's

I've got a pre-serial 22 602, and it is something special....but it rarely makes it out of the bag.

For all the soft, complex jazzy tones, great ability to build, crash lightly and sustain a constant sticking....it just isn't very cutting and not at all loud enough for any type of amplified music. I see it as a piano jazz thing, and i just don't have that going. So it sits.

Like a lot of us, i listen to the old A's i recorded with, but now have sold, and wish I still had them.

Posted on 13 years ago

I've been following this and I'm curious... where do Paiste 302's fit into all this? Worth? Quality? Material? Thanks (I know someone selling 302's)

Cassidy

Posted on 13 years ago

302s are half as nice as 604s.

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for sharing...

Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, my tongue was in my cheek, but the statement was straight. 302s were a cheap run of cymbals by Paiste. I didn't like the sound at all. They were harsh and quick and waaaay to focused for my ears. They were half the cymbal.

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the answer. Were 302's made from B8? He's trying to get me to buy his 20" ride for $40, and swears it's B20. It doesn't sound "half" bad...

Cassidy

Posted on 13 years ago

From Cassidy

Thanks for the answer. Were 302's made from B8? He's trying to get me to buy his 20" ride for $40, and swears it's B20. It doesn't sound "half" bad...Cassidy

Not B20

http://home.mnet-online.de/cymbalism/cymbalism/cymbals/series/Paiste.html#302

Posted on 13 years ago

How the hell did 302's get mentioned here?? This thread is about 602s vs Old Zildjian A's/K's Eye Ball

Posted on 13 years ago

Generally I'll sell a cymbal that is worth more than its sound. That's why most of my cymbals are Avedis, from 60s and earlier. They're the best value because there are more of them available, and there are people who prefer a newer cymbal. 602's are more rare, there are less of them, and they do sound more consistent than AZ's or K's but The reason why they are so expensive is because they're both very rare, and they do sound very good. I just don't think they sound as good as they cost. If I had tons of disposable income I might have a different opinion. But I doubt it. If I had tons of extra dough for cymbal purchases I'd be buying several old K's and then comparing them and trying to settle on a set or two of them. But for what I do on the drums what I have is sufficient at this time. So when I find a good deal on a 602, it will have to be sooo good sounding that I don't want to sell it and make all that money that people want to spend on them, due to the market desirability.

Posted on 13 years ago

From what I have experienced the 602's are nice cymbals,someone said warm and glassy and I agree with that,another thing that affects the price is the weight,the thin ones are rarer,and bring the most coin whether they are pre serial or not.I would not pay the current price that thin 602's are going for.If I wanted to get close to that sound in a crash cymbal I would seek out early to late 80's A customs,not quite as glassy but they still have that nice warm high end shimmer.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here