Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Paiste 2002 18" cracked

Just recevied the cymbal and unfortunately it's going to end up more like this because of a barely visible crack..too bad it wasn't taken care of sooner.....look, it's the bat signal!

Posted on 13 years ago

[FONT="Verdana"]Biff! Boom! Pow!![/FONT] (From "Batman" show)

That's too bad. Maybe it'll still sound okay.

B

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 13 years ago

Here's some close ups of the crack..ouch. Unfortunately I do not own a compressor yet and have to go elsewhere to start grinding on this.

Posted on 13 years ago

Here's a vid...I'll make one of the cymbal's sound soon. The compressor was weak and gave me a hard time. When that wheel grabs, you have to keep a firm grip or the wheel will ride across your cymbal and put gouge marks in it. With a strong air supply this would have worked alot better and would not have slowed down the cutoff wheel. You can see at about 3:18, I had to give the wheel a push start just to get it going. I was just deburring at this point.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMGAfWBGMM[/ame]

Posted on 13 years ago

Here's a basic vid/sound file of the cymbal. I'm happy that it still sounds good.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9c33_y06s[/ame]

Posted on 13 years ago

Here's a pic of my butchery. I have to say, I still think it sounds great. My radius isn't even symetrical - too many Coor's Lights and a dremmel tool. It took a little while, but I preferred to take little bites. I don't have any sound files.

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

AZBill, that's not butchery, that came out really good. I'm sure that little bite doesn't effect the sound at all and is better than listening to a shivering crack and taking the chance of it spreading further.

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks, Oli. I suppose it looks better in the pic. And yes, I wanted to arrest the crack asap, before it got worse. I've been using this cymbal like this for over three years (I don't gig out, so it doesn't get too much abuse). I would love to get a new 17 incher, but can't justify with my not playing in a band, these days.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here