Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Painting Rims

So I am fixing up an old Ludwig pre-serial kit that I aquired. The drums are in the good conidition, but the rims on the bass are a little marked up. Is it ok for me to paint these or does it hurt value or something else I'm not aware of?

Also, if you know what kind of paint is best to use, please let me know. The area I am painting is black.

Thanks!

1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 17 years ago

Different people will have different policies about this, but if the drum is rare, then I don't mess with re-touching the paint.If it's done meticulously -and I mean meticulously, then I probably wouldn't mind...but if the paint isn't glossy enough -OR- if it's too glossy, then it doesn't look the same...and if it doesn't look the same, then....well...it's different!But, like I say, that's MY policy. I have watched too many episodes of the Antiques Roadshow to know that an original finish in terrible shape is often more desirable than the most perfectly done restoration -at least in terms of furniture. I apply that same mindset to really rare drums. By the same regard, if I see a rare drum and the only thing that's been altered is the paint on the bass drum hoops, then it's not going to discourage me!Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

I have a pre-serial ludwig bass drum myself. I have mulled over painting the black part of the rims as well. (Mine are red sparkle wrap that has faded a LOT, so I am not worried about ruining the value of a rare/pristine drum.)

If some one knows of a good black paint that looks like the original, please post it here.

Regards - John

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here