Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Painting Prep tips Please

Good day

I am preparing some 50's Gretsch drum shells to be painted by a local Custom painter. I will be doing all or most of the prep. work on the shells. I've sanded to 400 and filled all the nicks and small gouges with Minwax 'epoxy-type' wood filler and sanded smooth. There are some black lacquer stains that are too deep in the wood hoops and could not be sanded out. I'm okay with leaving them there as long as I can primmer the shells and hoops and the painter can do a reasonable job. I'm okay with having a few warts here and there.......they will fit with the one original drum I have.

The paint has been mixed - close to Cadillac Green.....it's a 'water born' paint. We can't use (buy) lacquers in B.C. Canada. I will be plugging all the holes in the shells and taping them off from inside of the shell.

Any tips on prep for painting would be appreciated. The paint job will be a high-end Automotive finish. What primmer should I use keeping in mind the paint will be water-based?

The drums:

1951 22" 3ply bd

1953 16" 3ply f/t

New 3ply Will Tillman Custom snare 6.5x14

Original (not touching that) 9x13 3ply Gretsch rack tom in Cadi Green with original gold hardware.

Posted on 12 years ago

Any good box store wood primer will be ok. My son used to use Entech wood primer when he was still doing the water base finishes on his guitars.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the tip.

I just met the painter for the first time late today. He was recommended to me by the Automotive supplier that mixed my Cadi Green (close to it) paint. He thinks he can paint the drums and do a very nice job. I told him I'd prep as in cover the holes and tape stuff off.

Question:

I will have to tape off the bearing edges

Do you just work the tape around the drum and cut it off?

Just curious about that because I tried to put some tape down today just to see how it was going to go and it is a little awkward but it worked.

What's the best method/technique for doing that? What do drum painters do?

From FFR428

Any good box store wood primer will be ok. My son used to use Entech wood primer when he was still doing the water base finishes on his guitars.

Posted on 12 years ago

Why isnt the "painter" doing the primer. I would never finish anything that wasnt prepped by me.

JC

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

I just talked to the painter today and he is doing the primer. All I'm doing now is masking the shells and sanding. He also told me he will go over the shells and if there are any areas that need to be touch up - fill/sand etc. - he will do that too.

Thanks for the reply.

From jccabinets

Why isnt the "painter" doing the primer. I would never finish anything that wasnt prepped by me.JC

Posted on 12 years ago

From Kona

I just talked to the painter today and he is doing the primer. All I'm doing now is masking the shells and sanding. He also told me he will go over the shells and if there are any areas that need to be touch up - fill/sand etc. - he will do that too.Thanks for the reply.

I said that because I deal with home owners that want to do part of the job sometimes and it usually causes problems for me. If i do 100% of the job then there is no questions if its not what the owner expected, only me to blame. Hope I didn't sound to bold, it was just my reaction. Good luck on your project and show us some pictures, Im doing a lime green on a 60's mij kit. It will be interesting to see how the Cad green matches the origional tom. Color matching is one of the hardest things to get right, in my opinion.

JC

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

You had a post on that a few days ago didn't you?

That should be sweet!

Yes - the Paint supplier had my original drum in the shop when he mixed the paint and he said just what you said here - it's very difficult to match the paint. One of the reasons is that is looks so different in various lighting. He did a pretty good job though. It's not going to be perfect because the original paint is under the Gretsch plastic (Nitron) wrap.

From jccabinets

Im doing a lime green on a 60's mij kit. It will be interesting to see how the Cad green matches the origional tom. Color matching is one of the hardest things to get right, in my opinion.JC

Posted on 12 years ago

Cant wait to see pics of your drums when all done! The lime green was my daughters idea, its starting to grow in popularity. Ill have it done in a week or two.

JC

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

It will be nice to see how your drums turn out. My wife's nephew has a PD kit in Lime Green with black hardware. It looks good.

My drums will not be painted right away because I'm still waiting for the 3ply shell that's being built by Will Tillman in Pennsylvania. When it's done it will take a week or two to get here (crossing the boarder). I still have to drill all the holes.......lugs/badge grommet/strainer etc. I've never done that but I do have a very nice Layout Matt so it should go okay as long as I take my time. I'm looking forward to it. I went the 'build new' route only because I was having difficulty finding a Gretsch 3ply shell from the 50's. There's not a lot of them out there.....for sale at least. There is one on eBay right now but it's drilled different than what I'm looking for and it's also not a 6.5" like I want. The Cadi Green snare that Steve Maxwell has for sale now is just what I'm looking for....pretty much exactly....but it's a little out of my price range. I did make an offer but it was politely turned down.

From jccabinets

Cant wait to see pics of your drums when all done! The lime green was my daughters idea, its starting to grow in popularity. Ill have it done in a week or two.JC

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here