Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Painting Ludwig bass drum hoops

I hope some of you experienced collectors can give me some advice here.

Does repainting the hoops adversely affect the resale value?

Is there a specific paint that would be “proper” to use?

I am cleaning up a recently acquired mid 70’s Big Beat set, and the shells and rims are like new after a good cleaning.

The hoops have a couple of smaller chips and nicks in the paint that are much more noticeable after the cleaning. Not any serious damage, but a few areas of missing paint.

If I had owned these drums for a long time, I would probably just consider them some battle scars, and probably view them as giving the set some character, but I am probably going to sell these, and wonder if I should paint them or leave them alone.

Any thoughts?

Kurt

Posted on 6 years ago

I'd leave them alone, if re-selling. Let the next owner decide. I like the character, as long as it's not mostly bare wood left. I did an old Kent kit and did repaint the hoops with Rustoleum brand. A good cleaning/polishing might help the price. If you do re-paint you should note it as such. Some drummers will "beat" you for hiding such things.(nyuk,nyuk.)

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks Larry, all I have done to these drums is clean them up. I do not want to have to list them as restored, or have to explain anything that might be considered hiding flaws.

The chipped areas are pretty minor for a kit this old, so I am in favor of leaving them alone even if it is really the only flaw in an otherwise beautiful, clean set.

Kurt

Posted on 6 years ago

I agree with leaving it for the next owner to decide...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

Another vote for leaving them as-is!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

To answer your questions-

Based on what I've seen, repainting the hoops doesn't seem to devalue drums, therefore, it's reasonable to believe that repainting them wouldn't really increase their value. If a nick was really noticeable you could use a black sharpie to touch it up. I'd try that on an inconspicuous spot first though.

I believe the paint used for hoops is typically a satin black, at least for Ludwigs.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here