Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Painting Inside of 60's Luddie Floor Tom

Exactly what paint would I use and how would I apply the paint if I wanted to match the interior of a Ludwig 1960's 3-ply natural maple interior finish to my interior painted white set? Have you done this? How involved is it? Worth it? I use clear batters and resos so it is visible. Even if I went to coated batters, I still want it to match. Is there a step-by-step process somewhere? Thanks.

Posted on 12 years ago

First off; if this is a vintage, Ludwig drum that is in good shape, I, (as well as most here I believe) would consider it a mistake to alter the drum by painting it. This would negatively affect it's collector value if the natural finish is original. Keystone badge? Any date stamp inside? Serial number? Early 60s, Ludwig drums that were not painted, had a darker, mahogany interior, so if your drum has a lighter, "maple" interior, I would think that it would make it later, perhaps 69ish, (not 100% on this). If the drum is damaged, or a 'players' drum, I suppose it's up to you, but as a collector, I would not make the decision lightly. As far as what paint to use, there have been threads here in the past that have touched on this subject - I cannot recall where, but perhaps another member could suggest some links, or you could do a search yourself.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for your response. It is a 1969 vintage with one of the early blue/orange badges...82xxxx series. It will be played at home but not at gigs.

Posted on 12 years ago

If it's your drum, by all means, do whatever you want to it. If you think you might sell in the future, it will be more valuable in it's original state. If it's a 14", or 18", even more so. Either way, Ludwigs are great. Have fun with it.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 12 years ago

Its yours to do as you please,but is sounds like your drums are orphans?I would not paint that drums interior.Just slap a coated reso on it and call it done.Doing anything to alter that drum from factory original condition will alter its resale value.

Its also sounds like you're mixing Keystone badge drums with blue/olive badge drums?.I would say,leave the b/o badge drum alone,and just look for a tom that matches your set on ebay.Their fairly cheap and plentiful.Depending on color of course.What color are you're drums?

Steve B

Posted on 12 years ago

My drums are champagne sparkle, 1967 Super Classic config (13, 16, 22) plus a 1966 8x12 keystone that I added recently. Want to add an additional floor tom. There are 2 available on ebay right now. The 16 is a 1966 3-ply keystone (white interior) that has a flaw in the wrap where it is separating near one of the top lugs. The 14 is a 1969 blue/olive 3-ply with natural maple interior in VG condition. Which do you think is a better bet, or should I just wait it out for a match...could be a long wait. Is the separating wrap fixable? What is involved in fixing it?

Thanks alot for your help.

Posted on 12 years ago

they are yours to choose. but i would not paint the interior personally. just my opinion.

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

I'm with the rest of the gang and vote no to the painting of the interior. Keep it, use it and swap it out when you find a match. Remember, that it wasn't uncommon during the transition from white to clear interiors to see a kit with mixed shells... it did happen. I have a kit that I put together from orphans as well and have the same situation going on - they sound great! It works and it ain't broke, so don't fix it... just my :2Cents:

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks. No way would I paint it after all the good responses I got.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here