Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Painted Bass Drum Heads,... how were they done? Help!

Howdy fellas.

Anyone know any of the details as to how the old 1920s and 30s bass drum heads were painted in regards to methods, paint used (oil paint? Tempra?) *(This will be on a traditional calf skin head)**

and so on?

I used to be a graphic artist years ago and had also worked as a sign painter on and off having had a degree in classical fine art and graphic design so I'm wanting to paint the head on my old 1920s Leedy Bass drum.

Thanks for any info !!!Clapping Happy2

Posted on 14 years ago

One approach that I heard about years ago, was to

wet the calfskin and use dry tempra paint. I doubt that would work on a plastic head though.

Posted on 14 years ago

I'll probably have to ask the webmaster with all the old drum info,.. he may know?

Or,...

Possibly look around in some books such as the history of Leedy or Ludwig??

Posted on 14 years ago

1920's and 1930's era calf-skin heads were usually done using oil-based colors. Oil-based colors can be applied in thicker coats and allow for more saturated & vivid hues. Tempera is usually applied in much thinner coats since it dries so rapidly, and as such it often won't have the same vibrancy or saturation. Also, tempera usually doesn't work well when applied to flexible non-rigid surfaces. The only benefit that tempera offers over oil-based colors is that it resists fading very well, whereas oils tend to fade & can become transparent over time. Not saying that tempera couldn't be done or work, but odds are oils would be the better long-lasting choice.

Tempera would probably work better on synthetic heads though.

Jeff

Posted on 14 years ago

I think the reasoning on dry tempra/wet head is that heavy oil paint would effect the sound more than color that was soaked in to the head. Seems also that they may have used templates and sifted the tempra powder lightly over it. (This could get expensive though if it didn't work. Might like to try a test piece..)

Posted on 14 years ago

Here is an article that I remember from a few months ago from the arcadia web site.

It talks about the technique of painting and what to do to make it work.

David

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey fellas!

Thanks a million for the info.

I couldn't imagine it would have been anything BUT oil paint, BUT, I'd rather ask then assume and screw up a head.

Thanks again!!!

Cool1

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here