Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Paint Removal

Anybody have any idea what would be the best product and/or method to remove the paint from this Super-Sensitive without destroying the shell should I actually get motivated enough to attempt it? And, if you're wondering, NO, I was not the mental midget who painted it.

Posted on 13 years ago

That one should be pretty easy. Just pick up a quart of paint stripper and brush it on, wait 15 min, and wipe the paint off. I doesn't look like they did a great job priming or anything, so it should come off easily.

I don't think any stripper meant for paint would harm the chrome. Just read the label before you use it. Anything at home depot should be fine. If you really want to play it safe, you can use Lift Off #4 graffiti remover. It's much more gentle and less noxious, but will take a little longer. Good luck, post pictures when you're done!

Posted on 13 years ago

Oh boy, I just noticed they painted right over the badge. You probably should use the graffiti remover on that part at least. I don't know whether or not stripper would take the B/O off.

Posted on 13 years ago

the stripper will remove the paint off the badge as its factory paint try a acetone on the badge its not so strong and it evaporates quick then tape off as far as on drum itself it will not harm the chrome in fact it will clean it up very nice no u know the drill soft pads and cloths and water and soap for final cleaning use a water base stripper good luck

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 13 years ago

potsy24 & jaghog: Thanks to both of you for your input. I do appreciate it. Since I've got a few other on-going projects to keep me busy right now I think that I'm going to put this one in the for sale section of the forum as an "as is" item or for parts. If that doesn't work out I'll probably get to the stripping process sometime down the road.

Posted on 13 years ago

OldSchool- The drum was probably painted to hide pitting. If you want to turn it into a keeper, send it to a plating shop to be stripped and polished. It'll cost anywhere from $100 to $150. but what you end up with is a Ludwig snare drum that will never pit again. (see photo of a supra I had stripped of all chrome and the aluminum shell polished.)

John

1 attachments
Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 13 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

OldSchool- The drum was probably painted to hide pitting. If you want to turn it into a keeper, send it to a plating shop to be stripped and polished. It'll cost anywhere from $100 to $150. but what you end up with is a Ludwig snare drum that will never pit again. (see photo of a supra I had stripped of all chrome and the aluminum shell polished.)John

That's polished aluminum? Wow, looks like chrome. So... it's like a tube lug acrolite? How does it sound?

Posted on 13 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

OldSchool- The drum was probably painted to hide pitting. If you want to turn it into a keeper, send it to a plating shop to be stripped and polished. It'll cost anywhere from $100 to $150. but what you end up with is a Ludwig snare drum that will never pit again. (see photo of a supra I had stripped of all chrome and the aluminum shell polished.)John

Looks great, John!Clapping Happy2 Thanks for sharing the pic.

Posted on 13 years ago

I used Citristrip recently on an old Leedy utility snare that had a terrible water-based paint job over a nice finished wood. It took it down to the original Mahogany in one quick coat with out letting it sit at all. Not sure how it would react with the metal versus wood but it worked well on my snare. Here is a before and after.

1954 Gretsch Name Band Outfit White Marine Pearl
1964 Ludwig Downbeat Kit Champagne Sparkle
1964 Ludwig Jazz Combo Kit Gold Sparkle
1964 Gretsch Jazz Progressive Jazz Progressive Kit
1965 Ludwig Club Date Kit BDP
1971 Slingerland 13,16,22 in Black Sparkle
1979 Rogers XP-8 Super Londoner Tobacco Sunburst
1982 Rogers XP-8 Black Londoner
Numerous Snare Drums
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here