Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Paint removal on gold sparkle covered Ludwig

I've got a 1961 Ludwig 14x22 bass drum that someone painted black and then covered it in cheap contact paper to mimic butcher block.. I've safely removed the contact paper and most of the double sided tape.. I want to remove the black spray enamal paint without harming what looks to be a near flawless gold sparkle covered finish underneath.. Any ideas ?

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

I've got a 1961 Ludwig 14x22 bass drum that someone painted black and then covered it in cheap contact paper to mimic butcher block.. I've safely removed the contact paper and most of the double sided tape.. I want to remove the black spray enamal paint without harming what looks to be a near flawless gold sparkle covered finish underneath.. Any ideas ?

I'd first try some of the citrus based "stain" removers before I went to a lacquer thinner, acetone or stronger remover. If you have to go to something stronger, do a little at a time, and test a hidden spot to make sure the pearl doesn't melt. When you're done, go over the shell with Novus #2...that will bring back the shine. I've seen a bunch of drums that were painted and were rescued successfully, so take your time, and good luck. Then you'll have to find the matching toms and snare!

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Sounds like like someone didn't have their head on straight when they did that. Black over Gold Sparkle?!?!?! GEESH!! I have a '62 Ludwig kit that I wish it had the original Gold Sparkle on it. The guy that had it before me stripped it off and stained it. Nice kit but I want the original color back.

Dan
www.thebadmojoband.com
www.myspace/badmojoblues.com
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here