Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Paint product for Slingerland chocolate milk interior?

I'm having the edges recut on my Slingerland set, and I want to repaint them chocolate milk to match the original interiors. I'll have the paint store match the color, but not sure what product to use.

I assume oil was used originally. I'm looking at water based latex, oil based enamel (Behr oil based), and water based alkyd (SW ProClassic, Ben Moore Advance). Any suggestions?

Posted on 3 years ago

I would assume that the original chocolate milk finish was a paint that was heavily thinned. I would go with an oil based paint if you can get it and try thinning it different amounts then test on a scrap piece of maple until you get the right consistency.

Posted on 3 years ago

Thanks! I figured I would need to thin it out since you can see a bit of the grain through it.

Posted on 3 years ago

I worry about your edges, they should be nice and round and not cut like a knife to stay true to the Slingerland tradition. As for the paint goes, i would just sand the inside lightly and seal it.

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 3 years ago

From drumfx

I worry about your edges, they should be nice and round and not cut like a knife to stay true to the Slingerland tradition. As for the paint goes, i would just sand the inside lightly and seal it.

The current factory edges are 30 degree chamfers with a round over; they aren't the baseball bat edges. The new edges will be the same profile.

Posted on 3 years ago

Someone posted this a while back...

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here