Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

p85 strainer rattle

I have a 1975 acrolite with the p85 strainer, when I play some latin rhythms I like to have the snares off. I am now getting a rattle from the strainer when in the off position. I know you can still buy the p85's but I would like to keep the drum in its original condition. any ideas on how to fix the rattle

Posted on 12 years ago

From blackd

I have a 1975 acrolite with the p85 strainer, when I play some latin rhythms I like to have the snares off. I am now getting a rattle from the strainer when in the off position. I know you can still buy the p85's but I would like to keep the drum in its original condition. any ideas on how to fix the rattle

Maybe you can buy a new P-85 and then just use the black face plate from your original strainer? It's been my experience, however, that the newer P-85's don't perform like the old ones...they tend to get stuck when throwing the snares back on. I, too, play lots of Latin/Mexican music and play with the snares off a lot. The P-83's work awesome as do the P-86's...but I have also noticed some rattle with the P-86.

- EMD
Posted on 12 years ago

It's possible that your handle & mechanism is slightly loose because of the loss of one of the small wavy washers that take up slack when the handles are attached. If they are missing the handle, & movement can be loose & sloppy. I've seen where someone has taken the strainer apart, & lost the washers, or just didn't know how they fit. Double check this area. Even if they are there, you may be able to install a second washer to take up the slack. They are small. very thin & wavy, so they act like a tightening spring to take up space.

Posted on 12 years ago

thanks

I will take it apart and see whats happening

Posted on 12 years ago

If the wave washers are ineffective, replacing them with a Belleville washer (cone shaped spring washer) might solve the problem. One substance I am particularily fond of for stopping rattling , sympathetic vibration and smoothing out action on relatively imprecise drum parts is a high tack grease. Various forms of this exist from high tech vacuum grease to relatively low tech valve and cockstop grease. It has both clutching and lubricating features, a little goes a long way and it reduces vibration. It also goes by the name of damping grease.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here