Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Oyster Black Pearl correct wrap for 1959 transition bass?

Attention all Ludwig experts:

I just picked up a nice, player-grade 20" transition-badge Ludwig bass which, at some point in it's life, was painted solid gloss black. The resulting finish is horrible but accounted for the reasonable purchase price ($40). Equally disappointing is the fact that this bass was originally a virgin bass with no factory holes except the spurs; however, a modern Yamaha tom mount has been installed slightly off-center.

If the extra holes weren't present, I'd strip the paint to the original wood and refinish, but at this point, I'm leaning toward rewrapping with a period correct finish and installing a consolette rail. My question is:

Is vintage Oyster Black Pearl correct for a pre-1960 Ludwig? The Vintage Drum Guide shows the 1960 Ludwig catalog offering BOP, but there's no 1959 catalog shown. Would my rewrap make this bass even more historically inaccurate?

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 12 years ago

I have a transition badge set in pink oyster pearl and a black oyster pearl snare with a wfl badge.

larrySoap Box

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks Larry for confirming the Black Oyster! Post a pic of your Pink Oyster set!

Posted on 12 years ago

From larryvonludwig

I have a transition badge set in pink oyster pearl and a black oyster pearl snare with a wfl badge. larrySoap Box

Please post some pics. That sounds like a great combination. Thanks.

Posted on 12 years ago

Here's a page from the 1959 Ludwig catalog showing a "cocktail" kit in BOP.

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/ludwig_sets/1959_ludwig_drumsets1.jpg

I would tend to think that if you were to re-wrap your bass drum in 60s BOP from Precision or Jamin' Sams (or anyplace else that gets their wrap from Delmar) you would be about as "period accurate" as possible.

Make sure you specify the 60s BOP, or you might end up with the "bowling ball" stuff Ludwig used in the 70s...

Good luck!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks Bill for that great pic of the BOP cocktail kit! I decided to go with the BOP only after I discovered that JamminSam now offers the vintage 60's version of BOP. I never liked the "Bowling Ball" version Ludwig switched to in the 70's, but then again, I was disgusted with Psychodelic Red when it first came out, and look at how desirable that's become.

Posted on 12 years ago

From mchair303

Thanks Larry for confirming the Black Oyster! Post a pic of your Pink Oyster set!

Sorry, I just noticed these posts. ok, give me a few days they're stored in spare room and I got two projects tying me up now. Welcome

larry

Posted on 12 years ago

Here are some pics of my BOP super Classic. Dated Oct 15 1958, everything original except batter head. I see no fade on wrap, very silvery. I was quite pleased at condition when it arrived from ebay. thanks for looking!

larry

Posted on 12 years ago

Here's the POP in 20" and 12". This arrived with some paint left on it and crazing from the solvent used it take the paint off. I wet sanded and polished her ( my baby). I used artist acrylic gel to fill in some splits in the wrap. It's not the best shape, but...

I put my BOP snare next to it to show how they look together.

I'd really like a matching snare and floor tom...PLEASE SANTA!!!!

larryx-mas1

5 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here