Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Out with the new & in with the old!

I've finally decided to sell my beloved maple tama starclassic and buy myself an old ludwig kit...something I've been mulling over few a year or so now!

So I'm new to the forum and about to become a first-time owner of some 'vintage' drum gear, and I figured, as you're all pretty wise in these ways, any top tips for picking a decent kit???

I'm thinking 60's/70's super-classic....? Anything to look for with the shells?

Any how, stay cool, and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

John.

Posted on 14 years ago

Who are your favorite drummers, what brand and year, color, etc, this will answer a lot of your questions! Do you have good availability in the UK of vintage ludwigs?the sixties white interior years are warm and focused sounding, the late 60's early 70's clear interior 3 ply shells are my favorite ludwig shell they are focused and clean sounding! have you thought about slingerlands?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for your message. There seems to be a fairly limited flow of old ludwigs for sale in the uk.... I've found a few sites I've got my eye on.

So the late 60's, early 70's shells are thicker? Not quite so ringy I'm guessing?..

Also someone mentioned the inner shells unvarnished is better for governing the condition of the drum?...

I have thought about slingerlands but there seems to be even fewer for sale than luddies!!!

Colourwise it got to be white marine, champagne sparkle or black oyster I reckon!!

Posted on 14 years ago

From broadleaf

Thanks for your message. There seems to be a fairly limited flow of old ludwigs for sale in the uk.... I've found a few sites I've got my eye on.So the late 60's, early 70's shells are thicker? Not quite so ringy I'm guessing?..Also someone mentioned the inner shells unvarnished is better for governing the condition of the drum?...I have thought about slingerlands but there seems to be even fewer for sale than luddies!!!Colourwise it got to be white marine, champagne sparkle or black oyster I reckon!!

Your welcome, No the later ludwig shells are actually thinner than the early to mid 60's ludwigs! but if you are able to play both do so, What I like you may not? I also like your color selections,! good luck,!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

If it were me, I would look for 3 ply maple/poplar/maple with the clear interiors. Around 1970.

Posted on 14 years ago

That's great, thanks for your help guys!

I narrowly missed out on a '70 white marine super-classic the other day...gutted. It looked/sounded perfect too!!

I like thin shells so I'll look for a later kit.

Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here