Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

out of round bass drum...

I have a 28" wfl bass drum from the 1930's. it sounds wonderful. I need to replace the heads on it, but can not because the drum is about 1/2 inch out of round. Is there a way to fix this? Is there someone that can fix it for me?

Posted on 18 years ago

I have seen this question on other forums and never personally tried to get a drum back in round. One suggestion involved clamping and bringing it back to round and then letting it sit for a long time and checking to see if it is staying that way.

The size of that bass drum would probably be indicative of the warping and the larger the drum the more chance it would have to warp if not in the perfect environment.

Possibly a professional could work with the reinforcement hoops, but the expense of shipping both ways and of actually doing the work to me would not be worth the value of that size drum.

If the drum was rare and valuable then I would probably pay the fees.

If it is going to remain just a player drum then I would probably just get the clamps and slowly work that 1/2 inch out to get the heads and hoops on it.

Maybe another fourm member has a better answer!

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

If you are willing to pay to have the drum shipped to Nashville, Tn, you may want to call Forks Drum Closet and have Sam Bacco do it, or he may even know of someone in your area who could do it. Don't have their phone number handy, but you can look them up on the web. Hope this helps and I haven't boken any rules here.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here