Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Ouch! Chrome is peeling!

I bought this Ludwig Hollywood set in 1969, which are date stamped January, 1968. They are totally original and played regularly. Yesterday I was in the process of cleaning them up for an upcoming concert and was sickened to see a large piece of chrome peeling from the mounting lug on the 12" tom.

I'm assuming the only remedy is a rechroming and am looking for a referral. I do not want to trust this piece to a local yokel, but am looking for someone who deals in drum hardware restoration.

Thanks much. This site is priceless.

Trapper1

Posted on 12 years ago

It`s pop`n off the lug next to the mount too !!

It might be quicker and more permanent to replace those two parts with parts from the same assembly bin wich a few here sell all the time.

You`ll be hard pressed to fing someone, even durring inventory, to do two or three pieces.

One learnning question,...How in gods name did you keep that wrap from fadeing ?? You never see Psyc. red in that condition !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

You may be overreacting to a natural aging process, (this one piece isn't worth much worry). Replacing this part would be easier & cheaper than re-plating. If this peeling piece of chrome fell away, would it be that hard to live with ?

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like a replacement part it will be. While I appreciate the natural aging charm, patina, etc., that type of thing would probably drive me nuts in short order.

BTW, the lug actually is OK. That's just a reflection of the bad mount (whew!).

I've heard that the red psychedelic is prone to fading. Fortunately, with the exception of occasional gigs, my drums have only lived their lives in various Wisconsin basements, well protected from natural UV light. Seems to have worked well over the past 43 years!

Trapper1

Posted on 12 years ago

They usually end up red white and blue by now !! Keep doing wha ya doing cuz it`s working well. I don`t see any white anywhere ($$$$) !!

You gotta put a pic in the gallery so others can see a best reference of what psyc. red used to look like, new !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

Replacement is the way to go.

That kit is a [SIZE="4"]knockout[/SIZE]!

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago

Well, I can see why you are concerned about the chrome.

THOSE ARE SOME AWSOME LOOKING DRUMS MAN !!!!!!!!!!

Makes the search for vintage drums a challenge dont it?

JC

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

From OddBall

They usually end up red white and blue by now !! Keep doing wha ya doing cuz it`s working well. I don`t see any white anywhere ($$$$) !! You gotta put a pic in the gallery so others can see a best reference of what psyc. red used to look like, new !!

YEP!

larry

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here