Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Orphan reunited with family!

Hi everyone! I've been away from the forum for quite a while, but I wanted to share a sorta heartwarming MIJ story.

I'm sure no one remembers that many years ago I scored a 14" MIJ floor tom orphan that had been wrapped in a ridiculous banana yellow contact paper. I dubbed it, "the banana drum."

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=11191&highlight=banana

I realized at the time that it had a nice gold sparkle wrap underneath, but since I had no drums to pair it with, I was in no hurry to take it apart to and restore it to its original glory.

Fast forward about 4 years or so, I see an ad for what looks like some gold sparkle MIJ project drums on CL. "What the heck," I thought. Contacted the seller and went to check them out.

Once there, I saw a scrap of bright yellow paper in a pile of parts. "No way..." Sure enough, it was the same banana yellow contact wrap that my floor tom had been wrapped in! Furthermore, the badge on the bass drum matched the floor tom. Round, offset Tempro badge!

Purchased the bass drum and rack tom that the seller had, and I did a little work on them after I brought them home. Then, they sat. And sat. You get the idea.

Well, I finally found enough time to get back into the restoration of these drums, and am nearly done. There are some missing items as you can see, but I'm glad to have made the progress on these that I have, and really, I'm just glad that the family is back together.

The floor tom when I first bought it:

Posted on 8 years ago

The floor tom given its dignity back:

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Now reunited with the other pieces of the set:

(I guess the original owner was an aspiring JHB!)

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

And just for kicks, a shot with a Pearl snare in a matching wrap. (Which I believe is not gold sparkle at all, but Sparkling Silver Pearl, according to the 1968/69 Pearl catalogs.)

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Nothing better than a family reunion! Goes to show that, sometimes, waiting does pay off! Congrats on the kit. Looks great!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Awesome story! What are the chances of something like that happening?!

Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 8 years ago

Well done! Those drums were meant to be together!

Mike

Posted on 8 years ago

Great match! Love to see / hear about stories like this!

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the comments!

In case anyone is interested, this set is up on Craigslist, if you're local to Portland, Oregon. Thanks!

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here