Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Original Wrap

I have recently bought a vintage Slingerland Buddy Rich set, WMP. I removed all the hardware and buffed the shells which were dingy yellow. Its now looking like a vanilla cream pearl. I am new to vintage drums. Value wise is it better to leave the original wrap alone or rewrap with new?

Thanks in advance. I will try to post soe picts of the kit later.

Posted on 15 years ago

It is always a wise choice to leave drums with any type of desirability as original as possible. Rewrapping vintage drums pretty much kills the collector value of the drum (s).

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Unless the wraps are damaged (cracking, buckling, bubbling, loose, or gouged)....best to leave the original wraps for the sake of resale value.

There are fewer and fewer vintage kits with original wraps around..especially those in good shape...so it's always nice to keep an original, original if you have the entire kit.

We'd love to see it...can you post a pic ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I was in our local drum shop the other day and there was gentleman there talking with the guy who runs the repair shop and asking about pricing for a WMP Ludwig kit that he wanted to have rewrapped.

I heard "vintage WMP Ludwig" and just had to eavesdrop. The gentleman with the kit was lamenting the fact that he had pulled his old drums out of storage and the tom toms he had added in the 70's did not match the rest of the kit which he had purchased in the 60's. So he was inquiring about having the kit all rewrapped to match.

Mind you now the guy he was talking to makes a living from working on these drums and as I listened I realized he was talking this gentleman out of rewrapping this vintage kit. The repair guy was so skillful in admiring the fact that this gentleman owned a vintage WMP kit. He said he always felt that the yellowing was a "badge of courage" that told the story of a vintage drum kit which had been played out and survived to tell the story. He told about his own WMP Radio Kings with a beautiful creamy yellow finish, and that he loved the color and that he would never rewrap his own kit.

I was standing there like a little kid thinking.. "gee mister, tell more stories about the brave old drums."

I'd say clean'em and enjoy them.... vintage WMP is really beautiful.

:2Cents:

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Unless the wraps are damaged (cracking, buckling, bubbling, loose, or gouged)....best to leave the original wraps for the sake of resale value.There are fewer and fewer vintage kits with original wraps around..especially those in good shape...so it's always nice to keep an original, original if you have the entire kit.We'd love to see it...can you post a pic ?[/COLOR]

How do I post a pict on here, NEWBIE I know.

Posted on 15 years ago

From jb1011

I have recently bought a vintage Slingerland Buddy Rich set, WMP. I removed all the hardware and buffed the shells which were dingy yellow. Its now looking like a vanilla cream pearl. I am new to vintage drums. Value wise is it better to leave the original wrap alone or rewrap with new?Thanks in advance. I will try to post soe picts of the kit later.

ok here is the link to the Kit.

I am still working on it.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu207/jb1011/slingerlandbr012A.jpg

Posted on 15 years ago

jb1011: I just took a look at the pic of your kit. If only all original wraps looked as good as that! Don't even think about a re-wrap. BTW: I don't see any "yellowing", just "mellowing!" Great looking kit. Do yourself a favor and leave it alone and enjoy it "as is."Excited

Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah....looks great. Keep it as is fo sho!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here