Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Original Octoban sizes

Does anyone know what the depths of the ORIGINAL Tama Octoban were? The new ones they offer are MUCH shorter than the original ones from the late 70's-early 80's. I'm looking to replicate these original octobans in a wood shell fitted with Ludwig hardware to match my late 80's Ludwig kit (ok, its a Stewart Copeland replica kit now, sort of....if he had good taste in drums like I do, of course! LOL!) and want to stay true to the originals in size, I think the older ones sounded better than the new ones do.

Posted on 15 years ago

Tama's original Octobans were 6" heads---They were in 2 sets of 4,8 total in set. they were 10,12,14,16 high set,18,20,22,24" low set deep...mike PS i have 2 original ones for sale--12" deep and 24" deep in black P.M. if you like

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey, I think the wood ones were made by a company called Cannon Drums. I lived in Louisiana when I played them which would have made it about 1983ish. They were at the drum shop that set up the Billy Cobham clinic. These were wooden. The Tama's were plastic or fiberglass or some such stuff. They came in black if I remember correctly. Did Tama make them in the same shell construction as the SuperStar Gong Drum? That, I can't attest to. Just a bit curious on this.

Posted on 15 years ago

I'm thinking acrylic shells now, since I can't find anyone with wood shells long enough.....even keller doesn't seem to offer them that long....maybe I need to do a special order with them.....There is a company that offers a marine pearl acrylic shell, but they have yet to return my quote request.

Stillborn project for now I guess......

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Ludwig-dude--Give these guys a try--www.aitwood.com--i think they still have them..Thats one of the places that we[O.C.D.P.] get some of are shells from--They are in anaheim,ca--mike

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here