Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Orange Ludwig UFO case?

Howdy, de-lurking, used to be more active.

I ran across this on Facebook, a guy in the UK selling an otherwise unremarkable complete late 70s-80s Ludwig student kit in the UFO case. The remarkable part is that the case is orange & I've never seen it in anything but black.

Anybody know about these?

[Attachment: 137700]

[Attachment: 137701]

Posted on 1 year ago

I have only seen a few but they are out there.

That's about how much I know.

Wayne

Posted on 1 year ago

Not unheard of but not very common as far as I know. My guess, is that Ludwig's blow molding vendor couldn't get the black plastic so they asked if orange would be OK and someone at Ludwig said OK. Collecting serial numbers of the snares still with the orange cases would make it pretty easy to get an idea when they were made. It could have just been one production run or it could have gone on for a little longer. These were probably made earlier rather than later because at some point they started putting metal hinges and latches on them because the plastic ones were prone to breaking.

Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks y'all, I did some looking around & found a few more for sale, so they're apparently not as rare as I thought.

One theory I ran into was that it was a safety issue, they'd certainly be visible, big clunky things :D

The one I got the pics from was a very nice complete kit, Acro, tripod stand, original book, sticks & practice pad (AKA Gladstone pad). It's in the UK & consequently very expensive, but it's pretty.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here