Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Options for Early 70s Sonor Teardrop Tom Arm?

I have a 1969-71 Sonor Teardrop with double toms up top, but only play one up at gigs. The double tom post is very hard to find, so I don't want to take it out and risk losing it. I just missed a few single tom arms on eBay, but I'm now learning early Sonor Teardrop arms/mounts are a different measurement and the era is usually not specified so I have no way of knowing.

The originals don't pop up often, so does anyone know if these 3/4" Gibraltar tom arms will be a suitable replacement?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-SC-600HA-Inch-Diameter-Ratchet/dp/B0002II674"]Amazon.com: Gibraltar SC-600HA 3/4 Inch Diameter Ratchet Tom Arm: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21nPHm6kdRL.@@AMEPARAM@@21nPHm6kdRL[/ame]

One comment says it'll fit a Teardrop and elsewhere it said they work for "old Sonor," but I'm learning not all of them have the same specs. Thanks.

Posted on 8 years ago

Jay,

I suggest you join the very lively Sonor community over at Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/253195944712720/

Best,

Magnus

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks. I'm already a member over there and posted twice but got no answers besides it's 19mm…that's a hair under 3/4 an inch. The Gibraltar arm is exactly 3/4 an inch but don't have experience to know how much that very negligible difference makes when sliding the arm into the BD mount and tom drum.

Posted on 8 years ago

I am unaware of any ratchet link arm made by other manufacturers which can serve as a successful substitute for the original Sonor tom arm. If you have in possession the Sonor double tom arm consisting of partial linkages, each mounted into a bass central post, you can join together each half from the two separate ratchet arms to make one single tom arm linkage, but other than that solution your best option is to either shop on ebay or stay in contact with the Sonor vintage forum. Eventually an arm will appear for you. Forcing an oversized arm into the shipform socket will only serve to damage the vise grip mechanism and strip it out.

Posted on 8 years ago

From Jay_M

I have a 1969-71 Sonor Teardrop with double toms up top, but only play one up at gigs. The double tom post is very hard to find, so I don't want to take it out and risk losing it. I just missed a few single tom arms on eBay, but I'm now learning early Sonor Teardrop arms/mounts are a different measurement and the era is usually not specified so I have no way of knowing.The originals don't pop up often, so does anyone know if these 3/4" Gibraltar tom arms will be a suitable replacement?Amazon.com: Gibraltar SC-600HA 3/4 Inch Diameter Ratchet Tom Arm: Musical InstrumentsOne comment says it'll fit a Teardrop and elsewhere it said they work for "old Sonor," but I'm learning not all of them have the same specs. Thanks.

All the Champion, Super Champion and 70`s Phonics, up to 79 will have the same boat mount on the BD. The pole is the same, the difference is the wing nut and the Champion series and Phonic series of the 70`s had the logo stamped on them.

Have you tried Henk ? He`s here and over at sonormuseum.com (Teardrop collector)

It`s a tight fit so that thickness difference may not make it passed the wedge inside.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 8 years ago

Oh, and I believe the Phonic and champion series had a tom stand boom arm, that pole is the same as the boat mount pole but not the new BD mount.

My four up top Phonics have the stand with smaller pole. It`s the same one you find on Drop, Champ, and phonic BD mounts.

Posted on 8 years ago

All 80`s Phonic stand poles or BD poles wont do at all. Anything 70`s Sonor Phonic or Champion will have the boat mount pole you seek including the tom stand pole.

Posted on 8 years ago

This is what I mean,..

...The one on the right is from the 79 BD with the larger mount, the one on the left is from my original 77 BD that had the boat mount, I changed out the BD for the larger mounted one in 79 or 80, I forget, because of shaking but my point is, the one on the left is the same one you will find on 70`s Phonics, Champion, and Super champion series, the difference is in the wing screws logos ect. but not pole size.

The one on the left (small pole Phonic), will fit the boat mount on your 69/70 Drop BD. The same small pole is for the tom stand as well.

1 attachments
130.3 kB

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here