Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Opinions: Safe to glue this re-ring?

As mentioned in my "hello there" post, I recently got gifted a Ludwig Standard 13" tom and 22" kick that I'm pairing with a Ludwig classic floor tom to create a decent player's set. One of my first jobs, as I see it, is doing what needs to be done to fix shell issues. The edges are fine, the shells are round as they need to be. However, the tom's re-rings have begun to separate. (see attached phone photo)

They're still hanging on quite well, and in fact if I throw a head on the drum they don't even rattle, but this obviously isn't ideal. I'm thinking a bit of wood glue, clamp them overnight or for a few days, sand off excess, and that's that, but I figured I'd check here first and see if that sounds about right to you all. Thanks.

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

That is exactly what you need to do.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

I would just add that depending on what glue you use don't try to sand off too much.

Wood glue has a tendency to bulge out of a gap even after it's dry.

I have seen this with Titebond I, II and III.

Just don't sand into the wood trying to remove the glue because it may just keep coming at you. LoLoLoLo

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Excellent. Thank you all. I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted on 11 years ago

Another, related question. The bass drum has a hole that needs repaired. It looks like one of the pass-through spur brackets got torn around. It's a big hole about 1 1/2" across. I'm intending not to reinstall the pass-through spurs, but put a more modern folding set on the sides.

What's the best way to repair these sorts of mishaps on a wrapped drum?

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here