Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Opinions please

I have been using my 1970 Ludwigs for all the gigging I have done for the last 8 years. I had another set of 67 Ludwig Blue Oyster set I sold 7 years ago I used for mainly practice, but I did use them on a few gigs. I went thru a divorce and unfortunately sold them. Now that I am in a much better position I have been watching ebay and craigslist for the last few months to get another set. I have to admit I am not to keen on paying a few thousand dollars for a vintage set I can't see first, regardless of feedback. I have contacted a few vintage venders and have not gottin a good response, no return emails or a call backs that were promised. I know everyone has their likes as far as brand etc, but I decided to check into some new Ludwig maple classics at a local drum shop, special order, 7x10,8x12,9x13,16x16,16x18 and a 16x24 kick. the 10" and 12" would have mini classics and the rest large. I would use the Vibra mounts, so no tom mounts. the bass with no mount. Arc spurs. Of course green sparkle with B/O badges as I have found they will special order these. This is almost my current set except I have a 14x22 kick and the 10 is a maple concert tom. My new wife thinks I should go with silver sparkle to match my hair. My main question is have any of you, who have these or tried the new maple classics loved them or disliked? sound? I have been using G2 coated Evan's heads for about 6 years. The drum shop priced these to me delivered at just about $2500.00. I have never owned a new drum set of any kind. I would like anyones imput or thoughts etc. I have thick skin. If this was not the place to ask this question my apoligies. Thanks, Armond

Posted on 16 years ago

In my opinion, new drums sound VERY different from vintage drums. It's no surprise once you understand that new drums are made completely differently from old ones...different woods...different laminating techniques...etc.

Ludwig Maple Classics are basically going to sound like 99.9999% of every other modern maple shell drum. Add "Vibra-mounts" (isolation mounts) and you effectively reinforce even more of that new drum set sound. Again...personally, I don't like that sound, but different strokes for different folks and all that.

For that kind of money, I would rather invest in a complete, matched vintage kit with an all-original hardware package...maybe even a few old cymbals, too!

Most vintage "vendors" are going to charge you TOP dollar for whatever they sell you. In some ways, that can be okay -IF you know that what you are getting is a legitimate matched kit. The advantage is that you don't have to do multiple searches on EBay. The disadvantage (most of the time) is that you pay the premium price. However, if you find the right vintage set, then you will have something that will continue to hold its value over time...in fact, it's likely to INCREASE in value...whereas a new LMC will lose money and likely never ever reach the status of a collectible drum set -now OR in the future!

To summarize my beliefs....a real, vintage American kit (in great condition) will always trump the nicest new kit, so that's why I would rather "invest" than "spend" my money.Burger Kin

I'm not saying that new drums sound "bad". In fact, they sound GREAT (many times)...but they have no soul!Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Thank you, I appriciate your imput. I have also thought about finding a rough set or peice one together and get it rewrapped. I'd never do it to a nice set just to get green. My first set was a 64 downbeat set that my father bought me in 1973 and it was already half faded.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here