Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Opinions needed - BD batter head selection

Hey everyone. I'm putting together a 60s gold sparkle 20" MIJ bass drum and I am debating what batter head to put on. I've got a coated PS3 that I'm gonna use for a reso head, but can't decided on a clear PS3 for a batter or a clear Emporer that I had originally planned on using.

I cant decide because the PS3 should be a bit louder overall and I like the idea of the additional muffiling, but the Emperor may sound warmer and may muffle as well being a 2 ply head (and I'm using Emperors on all the other drums.)

I think the drum is 3 ply luan. The batter side bearing edge is nice and smooth. The reso bearing edge has a few small dings but is mostly ok.

I would appreciate any insights. Thanks in advance!

Posted on 14 years ago

My 20" MIJ has a clear PS3 batter and an Aquarian Regulator (or is it Resonator?) front. Absolutely fantastic sound. I've used this drum for recording, I like it so much.

Posted on 14 years ago

If you are using the original contour of the batter side edges, you have to take into account the fact that the heads in use back then. I still have the original SoundMaster head on mine, and use a Tama pedals from around the early-mid 80s. It still booms. Now, if you are really wanting to get into the modern heads, you will need to change the contour and sharpen up those edges. On these older drums, I suggest going to TAMA's website and check out the new edge contour they are using for the newest high end Starphonic snares. I have been using it, unknowingly, and get good results using it. I say unknowingly because recently I went on research mission and found this to be enlightening. Using modern head design on vintage edge design and contour usually yields less than optimal results. So in short, you should either look into a vintage style head, or work over the edges. Good luck, and keep us posted on the results!

D' DrummerKeep on Pl

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]PS3 coated on the res side is a very heavy head, no ? And a regular clear Emperor or PS clear is actually gonna be a lighter/livelier head than your res head.

....is that what you are shooting for....a relatively unresponsive res head with a significantly livelier batter ?

Personally, I would flip the combo around...use the PS3 coated as the batter and get an Ambassador or Emperor-weight coated or smooth for the res.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Well, I guess my priorities for the drum's sound would be to not decrease its overall volume, have a controlled ring without using any extra muffling (like felt strips or pillows,) and to still be deep and warm sounding with a good amount of punch. Too tall an order for this drum with any head selection???

Also, Jaye, I have this weird thing about using clear heads for my bass drum batter. I like to hear the wack of the beater and, for some unneccessary reason, be able to see into the drum. Its an OCD thing.

Posted on 14 years ago

The only time my PS3 is too loud is when I'm playing a SpongeBob game.

So, why not try a coated PS2/3 on the reso and a clear on the batter. The coated is not so much white as it is frosted. It's actually kind of a neat look. It has a good sound with the two heads together.

Posted on 14 years ago

Well uh, what the heck, just to chime in from my basement "studio"..

I like the Suede Powerstroke 3 on the batter and a coated Ambassador on Reso side of my 20" Rogers Tower BD. I wanted to be able to play it quietly with no ring or pedal a little harder and get it to sing a little. That combination seems to work.

On my Slingerland 20" I use an original Slingerland Sound King batter (with a 2" cloth strip) and smooth white reso. I tend to play that set louder and needed that reso to speak up a little.

Note: These are the ramblings of rank amature and should be regarded as such. Toilet

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

I often use a '69 Pearl or a '68 Pearl 14x20" to play live - the bass drum set up I love for these drums:

Pearl 69 Valencia 20x14: EVANS EQ3 clear batter, empty drum, original coated logo head as Reso with 1 felt strip for reso muffling.

Pearl 68 Thunderking: 20x14: EVANS Emad2 clear with the thicker foam insert ring, empty drum, coated Remo Ambassador with 1 felt strip as reso.

These EVANS heads and with an empty drum (no blanket or pillow) and a felt strip on the front reso is just the perfect combo for me.

Hope that`s helpful

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]cn679...okay, well...since we can't do anything about your OCD disease....then I'd suggest an Aquarian SK-1 or SK-II batter (it's clear ! ;)) and I suppose you could try your PS coated on the res side (although I think an Ambassador white on the res would be a better choice, as it's lighter and more responsive for the res side).

My experience with the thin-shelled Japanese bass drums is their sound often needs to be dried out a bit to have any punch...so the Aq. SK's or the PS Coateds are the heads which do that very well (or an Emperor or F'Skin with a felt strip).[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here