Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Opinion about Rogers drum set - Tommy P or anyone

I would like to get your opinion regarding the quality of Rogers drums/stands. I am new to this forum, and became interested when I read your dialogue with someone about the Rogers Dynasonic Snare drum. You seem to know a lot about this stuff and I would like to get your opinion.

I am not a drummer - I love drums, the look, the history and the sound of drums. Up until recently I had focused my interest on vintage Ludwig drums. I own 1 Ludwig kit which is a late 60?s (1967) with the Champagne Sparkle 22/16/13/12 & matching 14 snare (1963), they are used for practice and at shows by my band's drummer.

I recently have purchased a used Rogers drum kit which has the Big R label with the following serial numbers: 22" bass drum - D15813; 16? floor tom ? D 30814 (the floor tom has hex shaped legs, not circular); 13? tom - D 27376 & 12? tom ? D 30641. The drums are all white with grey speckled interiors. Included was a 14? x 5? Chrome Snare, Dynasonic model, Big R serial # D 26587. The snare drum does not have a tone control, it has the 5 lines across the mid section of the shell.

What year would you date these drums? What can you tell me about these drums concerning the wood shells, where they were made, what type of wood? Was this Rogers top line product at the time? What is your opinion of the quality of the drums that Rogers made at this time (construction, materials, workmanship etc) as compared to the 60?s drums from Rogers, and versus the other major drums such as Ludwig Classics, Slingerland etc.

I did not necessarily buy these drums for collecting, they aren?t in that type of condition, but if you were trying to put together a really cool Rogers kit, what year or what type (Holiday, Cleveland? etc) would you try to put together in a consistent set and matching hardware? Your comments would be appreciated.

Yours truly,

Mike L

The ideal configuration that I would like to set up is a 22? bass, 16? floor, and a 12 or 13? tom on a separate stand. Did Rogers ever make a 22? bass drum without any mounting hardware? Did they make a rack tom that could be simply put on a stand by itself without the holes for mounting hardware?

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi Mike L!

Wow... those are a bunch of questions! LOL! I just saw your post now, but I will be away for the day... ( Friday ) ... So,

I will be back to answer some of your queries, if someone else doesn't answer them first. If you can post up a few pictures, that would be great!... otherwise we will go with the info you have provided. Take care!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Tommy, I know - about all the questions! Anyway as far as sending pictures, I have tried to upload some pictures but I can't seem to get them down to a size that the form will accept, do you have an email to send them to or another area that I can post them to? I will forward the email to David and he will know how to get them to you I am sure.

Posted on 17 years ago

Here are some of the pictures.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Mike!...

... and sorry for the delay in getting back. The PM helped though! :-) Okay,

After seeing the pics coupled with a bit of your description, I would say that you have a 1976 Rogers "Londoner V" kit. The 1976 kit was outfitted exactly like yours with Memriloc tom holders and the still present Knobby floor tom legs/mounts. Sizes are correct too. The "Big R" badges are also a good indicator of the year in this case.

These are CBS era Rogers, which means they were built in Fullerton, CA. Because these are the "Big R" series, there wouldn't be labels inside each drum like there used to be. The serial numbers are on the actual outside label. The shells are 5 ply with 5 ply re-rings in the typical ply lay-up: Maple/Poplar/Maple/Poplar/Maple. Your shells are painted with the speckled "trunk paint" as it has become known. The wrap on yours is Rogers "New England White", a very common wrap for this era.

Hardware would have been the "Tripod Base Cymbal Stand" as they were now called, and they would have had Memriloc on the height adjustment tubes. Bass Drum Pedal would be the "Supreme"... ( a Swivo-Matic on steroids! ) ... and the HH would also be the new "Supreme". Snare drum stand would also have been the "Supreme" with the "clipper" type legs... not the tripod. Your HH and SD stands look correct in the picture by the way, and the two toms would have been mounted off the bass drum Memriloc holder, which is also shown prominently in your pics.

The COB Dynasonic stands on it's own merit, although a lot of guys contend that the LATER "Big R" Dynasonics are of a cheaper grade... and there is a little truth to that statement as well. Quality, while not terrible, wasn't up to the Ohio built Rogers drums, and a lot of that happened AFTER CBS took over the company, and especially with the Fullerton manufactured drums. So,

To sum it up: 1976/77 Rogers "Londoner V" kit in New England White wrap. Certainly nice sounding drums as Rogers had the 5 ply/rings makeup down cold.

Regarding your question on WHAT year Rogers drums would one want to put together and/or buy for the most value/sound/worth? ANY kit from say 1960 to 1967, give or take, and of course this is a subjective comment. Course, at this time, Rogers was KING!, and they were making the BEST drums and they had a TOP ENDORSER roster including, but not limited to, Buddy Rich and Louie Bellson, to name but two. 60's era Cleveland Rogers always bring the highest return for the investment, and will continue to do so I suspect. The later "Big R" series, while certainly nice drums, haven't been able to command the interest or the prices of their older brethren... but perhaps someday they will! Hope this was of help!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Tommy, thanks alot, this is definitely helpful. Especially your opinion on the Cleveland drums. There is so many wrinkles and different considerations, but bottom line the comment about the Rogers 60's drums and their quality is extremely important.

It helps to have some direction when you get into a project such as putting together a quality vintage kit, it is like being on a "mission". It can be an enjoyable challenge to undertake a project like this, but it can be costly without some good guidance. For that I thank you.

I may trouble you again for your opinions/guidance in the future too, if you don't mind. For starters I have ordered that Rogers Drum book that is often referred to by yourself and others. One last question, would the Londoner kit be considered an entry level, mid level, or top line kit from Rogers at the time?

Any other comments and opinions are certainly welcomed.

Thanks again. Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Mike...

The Rogers "Londoner V" kit was TOP OF THE LINE... not entry or beginner level drums at all. They would be consistent with what Rogers used to call their "Holiday" model drums back in the 60's. By the way,

If you would like to see a couple real nice Rogers 60's era kits, both of my Buddy Rich model Rogers kits are shown on this very forum under the "Drum Set Gallery" heading. The first one is an all original 1966 Rogers "Buddy Rich Headliner" kit complete with all the correct hardware. This kit features the pretty rare dual 14X14 floor toms, and is in WMP.

The second one is my 1965 Rogers "Buddy Rich Celebrity" kit with all correct hardware plus a near mint 1966 WMP Dynasonic snare drum, just like on the front jacket of Buddy Rich's "Swingin' New Big Band" album. This kit is also in WMP, which was of course, Buddy's color/wrap. Man, I remember spending hours staring at that album cover while listening to Buddy and drooling over his Rogers drums! Anyway,

Both those kits are worth a bit of jing given their era... ( 60's ) ... condition... completeness ... and wrap. ( WMP )

And certainly no trouble at all Mike! That's the beauty of this most excellent forum! Oh, and I must add that the Rob Cook Rogers Book is certainly a must have. It contains a wealth of knowledge that would otherwise take you YEARS to accumulate. Enjoy!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Tommy, Those kits are beautiful! I would just stare at them all day if they were in my house.The stands and hardware look as if it were brand new, I love that shiny chrome. It is a good thing I never got into this too much before or I might be broke! But I would have some nice drums!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here