Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Olympic Wood Snares

I've been looking into getting another 8 lug snare to alternate with my Hollywood Ace. These seem to be reasonably priced when I see them - any feedback on the shells and the sound? Do they have decent tuning range? Can they be cranked at all? I'm also looking at the Premier Royal Ace, but they're obviously more expensive and that strainer scares me a bit. If I had to drill an Olympic for a more reliable strainer, I wouldn't feel too bad.

Posted on 9 years ago

I've owned several of them made with birch shells. They are quite excellent drums which blend in musically very well, much like a Ludwig vintage wood shell. As regards "Can they be cranked..." I believe the answer is yes, but then again everything has its limits. Mine always delivered a warm, crisp "pop", and owners of the later models made of mahogany offer up high praise for them as well.

Posted on 9 years ago

Had a 60s, 6 lugger that wasn't doing much, until I sanded in a snare bed - been my main snare for months, until I ordered another, 8 lug this time. Loving them both - lots of tune-ability, (slot head Ts though) and feel, and sound fantastic, (to my ear anyway). Currently seems to be a very reasonably priced drum generally - got my endorsement.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here