Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Olympic by Premier Gold Sparkle

Picked this up today.

20'' kick is the oddball with 13'' rack and 16'' floor, matching 14'' snare is cool too.

I think the price was right plus I got the nice gentleman to meet me way

more than half way as we were about 125 miles apart.

Still trying to figure out exactly what it is that I have besides the fact

they sound pretty damn good without any messing around so far.

Came with tons of extras which I didn't take photo's of, like a nice

Ludwig Acrolite snare and 70's medium hats.

1 attachments
Found it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice find EricP... This kit looks to be in great shape to from the pics.. I love these vintage English kits... I personally don't own one, but I do have an Olympic hi hat stand and bass drum pedal that came with my Stewart kit!!

Always nice when you get a Lud Acrolite thrown in...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 14 years ago

lovely and quite a rare finish. nice find!

if you need more info, contact Dave Mcreedy ( DrumDMC ) on the Dolbear forum, or go directly to his site www.vintageolympic.co.uk . there you'll find timelines and any info you need

Posted on 14 years ago

Cool Ian, yeah, have that web site up and checked it out. I didn't even know

this was a budget line only made for the USA I guess. Once I saw the single

screw holding the tension rods they remind me of a Ludwig Clubdate budget

set. At least they used 2 screws per lug on the floor tom. Man these birch

or maple 3 ply shells are sweet, punchier shells than a Clubdate I think.

Funny the things you learn after picking up a vintage kit, heh. I think I would

have really passed on this if I knew Olympic was the budget hardware

line...

Found it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

From EricP

Cool Ian, yeah, have that web site up and checked it out. I didn't even knowthis was a budget line only made for the USA I guess. Once I saw the singlescrew holding the tension rods they remind me of a Ludwig Clubdate budgetset. At least they used 2 screws per lug on the floor tom. Man these birchor maple 3 ply shells are sweet, punchier shells than a Clubdate I think.Funny the things you learn after picking up a vintage kit, heh. I think I wouldhave really passed on this if I knew Olympic was the budget hardwareline...

I've owned a couple of these in the past and the vintage Olympics are far from "budget" drums. They use the same birch shells as the top of the line Premiers did and the hardware quality was always excellent. Best chrome in the industry! The main differences between Premier and Olympic were that the Olympics used fewer lugs and steel hoops instead of die-cast to save the consumer a bit of cash. They still sound great!

If I had the chance to grab another one of these sets, I would in a second! Enjoy your kit! :D

Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, the shells are killer for sure. But from what I'm reading online is

they were marketd as a budget line to the USA only? And when I looked

inside and saw the single screw holding the length wise lugs, I gathered that was the budget part aside from the rims. My rack actually just has the Premier

badge that doesn't say olympic and has die cast rims with slotted

lugs, but the kick, snare and floor are all the same. Kinda bummed the

snare looks to be mahogany 3 ply and not birch like the others...

Found it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

From EricP

Yeah, the shells are killer for sure. But from what I'm reading online isthey were marketd as a budget line to the USA only? And when I lookedinside and saw the single screw holding the length wise lugs, I gathered that was the budget part aside from the rims. My rack actually just has the Premierbadge that doesn't say olympic and has die cast rims with slottedlugs, but the kick, snare and floor are all the same. Kinda bummed thesnare looks to be mahogany 3 ply and not birch like the others...

Premier rack tom and snare lugs were always held on by one screw. Nothing to do with the "budget" aspect of it, just the way they saw fit to do it. Sounds like you have an actual Premier mixed in with those Olympics....not such a bad thing. As far as the snare being mahogany, thats a good thing as well, as that's real African Mahogany, not lauan, or phillipine mahogany, like the MIJ sets. Hi-quality stuff you've got there.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes, looking at the rack tom's lugs, those are Premier lugs and parts. The rest of the kit is Olympic. It's a great kit!

Posted on 14 years ago

Nice kit!

Olympic wasn´t US-only. And the mix of birch and mahogany is quite usual on Premiers.

Regards

Jon

Posted on 14 years ago

Lovely sets the old Olympics. They're a lot more easier to come by over here in the UK obviously, but the shell quality is great. I've got a 1960's birch set which I keep at rehearsals and everyone loves the bass drum - I took the reso off it and it had so much attack! With the snare, you got a bargain there! Rarer finish too!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here