Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Old topic...im still confused?

"My cymbal is so filthy,but i love that"....Really?..Do most of you honestly believe that whatever goop has ended up on your cymbal,that it really helps the sound?..So you have no desire to clean them and bring back a possible beautiful shine to them?....Im just askin!Walking

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

I don't get what you're after. Are you wanting our take on the age old question of cleaning vintage cymbals? Did someone say the quote and you're bugged? I don't get it.

Posted on 14 years ago

Never talk about politics, religion or patina.. :)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

lol! ten characters

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

From wayne

"My cymbal is so filthy,but i love that"....Really?..Do most of you honestly believe that whatever goop has ended up on your cymbal,that it really helps the sound?..So you have no desire to clean them and bring back a possible beautiful shine to them?....Im just askin!Walking

I got my old K's (will be 40 years ago soon) a long time ago and feel like I'm their caretaker. I have cleaned them a bit during those years. I never did it in a way that I feel was wrong. I always used well known brands of cymbal cleaners, and never went bonkers trying to make them shiny. I like the dull look, to me it looks more expensive than shiny.

I think it's nuts to think that they sound better with heavy green deposits, so I haven't let them build up. If you looked at my cymbals you'd probably think I don't clean them.

I'd rather have them slightly dirty than over shine them and screw them up, so I have always been on a fine line of not really cleaning them but at the same time not letting them build up any sludge. There is some green under some of them though.

In the near 40 years they've probably been cleaned (and not shiny clean) about 4 -5 times. As caretaker I have to use my best judgement, and that's what I've come up with.

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm with the cymbal makers on this one.....a dirty cymbal is just that....dirty. I clean mine annually.

Posted on 14 years ago

I try not to get wordy when i start a thread,but then i realize i leave detail out which confuses people.Sorry.

I was quoting a guy who said he loves dirty cymbals,the dirtier the better,so i was asking you guys basically for your opinions...do you think,or believe that clean cymbals sound better than grimey cymbals....without getting to wordy?:)

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Yes.

Not too wordy.

I can't stand playing grimy cymbals. The grooves are clogged and they just don't seem to sound out. I like a good patina but draw the line on dirt. Icky.

Posted on 14 years ago

From wayne

...do you think,or believe that clean cymbals sound better than grimey cymbals.... :)

You know I have had some cymbals (I won't mention names but NOT my old K's) that I have used cymbal cleaner on and got them shiny and I didn't hear any difference in the sound after cleaning.

I understand why they should and it makes sense, but I couldn't notice it. I even wonder if it's the psychological logic "it's brighter looking so the sound is brighter", which seems very simplistic but I've really wondered that.

The opposite would be people thinking a dark, grungy cymbal will be funky and dark sounding.

Hey, people have looked at me and thought I was clean & bright when actually I'm dark & grungy! :)

Posted on 14 years ago

Here is a sub-subject I've never seen discussed.On a few occasions,I've cleaned the factory lacquer coating off my cymbals(Paiste 404)and there is a marked difference in the highs and length of the ring.I also cleaned the lacquer off a set of Camber student hi-hats and they sounded much better-went from gross to B8ish.I have never owned a cymbal that was so valuable as to be afraid to clean it,2002's included.I use the wadding type metal cleaner(Nevr-Dul)and rinse with Windex.I believe that clean is nice.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here