Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Old Star brand snare

Has anyone seen this badge before? I don`t recall seeing this one. This has nickle lugs, (i think) stick chopper rims and the strainer is not original. It started out life as silver sparkle, now its more of a "ginger-ale" color. Looks like an old one. Here are a few pics

Posted on 13 years ago

Hello,Hawghunter!

I have a set of early 70's restored Stars and a set of 60's Supremes, a stencil of Star. I have not seen this badge . From the lugs and the inscription on the badge, it is certainly a Star though. Several months ago. I purchased a Star shell. No rims. No badge. The lugs are identical. The wrap on the shell is blue sparkle in mint condition. I'm just speculating but, I would think that your snare is an older model than my chrome snares. Something about the badge just looks to be a few years before 1970. I'm no expert though. Hope I helped a little.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

Hello, again.

I can't quite tell from the pictures but, is your snare a six lugger? The shell I have is.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

Yes it is a six lugger. Here is one that I believe is an early to mid 60`s 8 lugger, with different lugs

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Hello,

Dear STAR-friends around here: I'm not sure, but something in it gives me the feeling that this (champagne sparkle) snare should be one of the absolutely earliest snare drums around here, that are produced by STAR ...

Stunning great find!

Ralf

NB: concerning the red one: I've never seen such lugs at a STAR snare drum before.

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago

From Ralf

Hello,Dear STAR-friends around here: I'm not sure, but something in it gives me the feeling that this (champagne sparkle) snare should be one of the absolutely earliest snare drums around here, that are produced by STAR ...Stunning great find!RalfNB: concerning the red one: I've never seen such lugs at a STAR snare drum before.

This is what i know and can recall the 1st snare drum is one of the earliest "Star" snare's badge date's it about 1963-4 but the funny thing about it is that the lugs are the same one's you would find on a "Pearl" snare drum from the same time...If i was you i would remove a lug and see if it is mark "Pearl" inside the lug..The Red snare drum is from the late 60s i have seen many "Star" drums with that lug on it in the pass...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Hi, again!

I have to agree with Ralf. The lugs on your champagne snare are identical to the lugs on my blue sparkle snare. It is definitely a Star six lugger, at least in my opinion. A very nice drum!

Brian

Posted on 13 years ago

Nope, no name on the inside of the lugs. These lugs are quite heavy and it looks like they have a "heavy" coat of nickle on them. As far as the red snare goes, looking at the old catalogs this strainer type was used pre 65 models. In 65 the strainer looked like a zoomamatic copy (kinda)

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

I knew that your lugs were authentic Stars! Very early, like Ralf so accurately points out. Avery nice drum, sir! Merry Christmas!

Brian

Posted on 13 years ago

Same to you Brian! Thanks, Tommy. Here is a pic of a Pearl Stencil (3ply)

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here