Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

old slingerlands rescued from the dump!

hello all. my names ryan and im new to the forum. i found some pretty cool stuff out about my ajaha cymbal on my first post here last night. and decided too yank some other stuff out of the delves of my cluttered basement. what i have here is a 12" and 16" toms. i seemed to be able too put the date of manufacture on the 16" in the early 60,s its serial number is 133008 and it has the "chocolate milk" stain on the inside.the hoops look period slingerland. however on the 12" there is no mounting hardware and no badge. it is not stained on the inside and has a stamp inside dated at either 1950 or 1959 (stamp was smeared). it dosent seem like a stencil tom due to quality of hardware and shell. i thought maybe someone would recognize it by the double padded dampener. and furthermore whats the rarity of these drums? thanks,ryan

"Time fly's like an arrow. fruit fly's like a banana"
Posted on 15 years ago

The floor tom would be from the mid-late 1960s.

The 12" is from '58 or '59.

Nice...

Posted on 15 years ago

ok. thanks for the input. would these have left the factory together on the same kit? ive read that ludwig used to match up old stock and new stuff. i only ask because the wrap looks like its aged exactly the same. so my guess would be they were born that way or paired up not long after and stored together. thanks,ryan

"Time fly's like an arrow. fruit fly's like a banana"
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Always hard to say with Slingerland...they had a tendency back in the day to just grab the nearest shell and badge and throw it together into the same kit. If the shell they grabbed happened to be sitting there for a few years, so be it. But the spread is a good 5-6 years in this case, so probably not.

Also, given that one has the painted interior and the other, not....it would be a hard sell to claim these came out of the factory as part of the same kit.

Nevertheless, if there is no serious damage to the shells (no cracks, bearing edges top and bottom are not chewed up or nicked badly) or the wrap (no cracked wraps, no lifting seams, no big bubbles or warps)...if you disassemble these, clean up the chrome a bit, take some vinyl cleaner to the wraps to spiff 'em up, and reassemble, they are worth something.

Probably the floor tom around, I dunno...$80, and the rack tom about the same, maybe $70...market value, eBay prices. Even though they may be missing some hardware, they have the real important hardware...the mufflers, the tom leg mounts, etc...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Floor toms have been going CRAZY on eBay lately, so if you're sellin' GET TO IT, Now's the time to get 'er done!!

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago

I was going to post the same thing Viper...they are moving..take it from me I need 2 right now...

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here