Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Old Pearl Set Help

I just got an old Pearl set off ebay. It's has a 20x16 bass, 14x14 floor tom, 14x6 snare and a 12x8 tom. It is a gold or orange sparkle and has the PEARL (silver) badge and a ROSSINI badge and a CHALLENGER 45 badge and a sticker that says TMA LIMITED SINGAPORE.

Anyone know anything about this set?

Thanks.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/LewArcher/pearl1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/LewArcher/pearl2.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 15 years ago

That is an awesome looking set, and in great condition! You're lucky to have both bass drum hoops. All you need are a couple rims for the rack and floor tom and you're set up! Usually the old Japanese kits need a lot more work (I'm slowly restoring 2 old Japanese sets myself.)

Also, those look like the original heads... man what a cool score!

Dont know too many specifics of this set, but isn't Rossini an opera composer? So if this set is a "Rossini Challenger"... maybe a little joke in there?

Anyway, sweet drums. Please post how they sound when you get around to playing them!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yeah, they look like a straight-p late 60's set of Pearls...the PEARL block-letter badge was only around from '68-'70.

...the lugs look like the Tempro-style (which was a brand also made by Pearl).

...the Rossini badge, that IS funny...but, hell...Pearl made all sorts of Stencil kits with wacky names which made little sense, so I can believe they badged under that name. Do all of the drums have the Rossini Challenger badges on 'em, or just a few ? Could have been a set which was put together from two sets ?

'TMA LTD Singapore' is likely the distributor or wholesaler who sold the kit. Pearl never produced drums in Singapore, only Japan and Taiwan. Could also be that the distributor slapped on their own, after-factory badges.

Regardless of what names are on 'em, it's a late '60's kit made by Pearl...nice sizes, finish looks good; even has the cool Japanese-style swivomatic hex rod mounting system, AND the bass cymbal arm (those usually get long lost !). With some new heads and proper tuning it can make a nice jazz, folk, or rockabilly sorta kit. It will never be overly punchy and loud though, unless you recut the batter edges.

But, nice find, nevertheless.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here