Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Old Pearl refurbishing pt1

Hi, this is my first post...

In 1992 I bought a second hand Pearl drumkit. (22, 12,13,16", plus 14" metal snare). It already had it's history but in my ownership period it has travelled the world, seen dark, moisty places, stages and practice rooms etc.

At some point, because of age and my lack of interest in maintaining it, I had to replace it. Mainly because of complaints from my bandmates but true it was falling apart and it looked horrible. Because I had a long term relationship with that kit (I learned almost everything on it) I couldn't let go. I has been stored in my garage for years.

Now I have a bigger house and more time I decided to finally restore it and treat it the way it always deserved to be treated.

I was also hoping to hear more of it's origin (I believe somewhere early 80's) and it's wood type. I will send more pics from now on in the process of restoring (as I learned how much fun it is to share). But for now: what can you already tell from this picture? What kind of pics do you need/like to see?

Some facts:

[LIST]

[*]The shells (and unfortunately the bearing edges were painted (black) from the inside.

[*]The Shells had black wraps around it (I remove them already).

[*]The BD (22") had a single tom input from which 2 toms could be hanging (I lost the 'divider' somewhere along the way)

[/LIST]

As the picture tells, I'm already in the middle of the refurbish process.

Still to do:

[LIST]

[*]Take off hardware, glue and sand the shells (both in and outside)

[*]Wash of the smaller parts (wings, nuts, bolts etc. with WD40)

[*]Wipe of rust with aluminium foil and WD40)

[*]Paint the shells (transparent semi matte coating In 4 layers)

[*]Order missing and broken parts (lug nuts, dual tom holder)

[*]Put everything back on.

[*]Play

[/LIST]

Ok, back to the garage... ;-)

Edit: Some more pictures added. (painting shells, shells waiting, nuts n skews n washers etc taking a bath, lugs n other parts taking a shower)

Posted on 6 years ago

Looks like you got a good start on the project, an oh ya welcome to VDF! Please keep us up to date, we love to watch projects like this.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 6 years ago

Welcome!

Great story! Two things we all really love here: Photos of a clean/restore job and good stories about a certain kit.

I bet you are really glad you hung on to that kit. Good for you. Glad you're "rekindling the romance" with those drums again.

Keep us updated.

V

Posted on 6 years ago

Because I read somewhere someone was complaining about the springs in the rods, making noise, I put some kitchen tissue in each lug before screwing on. You never know...

Posted on 6 years ago

Smallest toms (12/13") coated 4 times (2 times sanding in-between). Also sanded the inside of the shells (they were painted black).

Have put the hardware back on.

Meanwhile painted BD and FT for the last time...

When they are dry I will re arm them with their hardware and will dust off all hoops...

Notice the black bearing edges on the outside... Bad painting from the manufacturer? Whatever, I only found out after I removed the wraps. I decided to let it be. I didn't want to touch the bearing edges (I don't trust myself with sandpaper enough). Also: the skins and hoops will cover it.

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here