Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Old Pearl Bass Pedal - Date? Value?

Got this old Pearl bass pedal (along with an Apollo/Pearl bass and tom).

Wondering if anyone can tell me approximately when it was made and what it's worth.

I couldn't find a single picture of one like it on Google. Hopefully that indicates rarity.

I think it's a pretty old one, since there's no "Pearl" logo proudly displayed anywhere on it. I'm guessing that in the early days being Japanese-made was a bit of a liability, so they avoided marking them in ways that would be a give-away as to the country of origin.

As far as value goes, I imagine it's a tug-of-war between desirable "vintage mojo" and possibly a not-so-desirable primitive action/playability. Not sure where it lands in the end.

Posted on 6 years ago

Here are a few more pictures to indicate it's condition.

Notice in the first post there is a missing screw where the beater assembly attaches to the axle.

There is also a missing screw on the pedal heel where the bar that ties the pedal to the beater stand attaches.

The top of one spring is looped around in a cockamamie fashion, and the top of the other spring is a little bent. Both still do the job.

The metal link between the pedal toe and the beater lever is (un)bent and one of the fingers is partially cracked. (Perhaps this could be replaced with a strap for an easier fix, or would that mess up the rebound?)

The gray wrinkle paint on the frame is rubbed of in places, particularly where the players foot rubs.

Other than that, the bulk of it is solid and just needs some polish and lube.

Posted on 6 years ago

Hi Steve French!

Your pedal is from the "Maxwin by Pearl" kits from the late 70's to the early 80's. The pedal is the 609 and can be seen in the provided pictures. Just because you haven't been able to find one with an internet search does not mean it's rare. It's rare in the sense that I don't believe that Pearl sold many of these Maxwin kits. Value? Honestly, it was a cheap pedal to begin with and yours has certainly seen better days! I'm not sure I would pay $10 for it. Still, there might be that one person out there with a Maxwin kit, looking for the cataloged pedal. Probably not to actually use, but to make the kit original.

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

Yes, what Mark has said... In Australia the Maxwin kits sold fairly well though during the mid 70's, around 30 percent of all Pearl kits here carried the budget Maxwin badge.

Here is an article on the Maxwin's from the UK.

Cheers

John

http://www.mikedolbear.co.uk/story.asp?StoryID=2659

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 6 years ago

Hi John!

A really great article on the Maxwin! Thanks for the link!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here