Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Old Gretsch aluminum spurs - restoration question

Good afternoon folks,

I have a killin tangerine sparkle jazz Gretsch round badge kit that I picked up from Bill at Classic Vintage Drums. It came with reproduction spurs that look to made from aluminum. I have a pair of originals that I'm going to swap out from a players grade Gretsch bass drum I have. The originals look to be in decent shape and probably will shine up nicely. Here's my question: What would you use to shine up these spurs? I want to shine them up as much as possible. The new ones almost have a satin look so I want to make the old ones shine up more (if possible). I have lots of cleaners such as Barkeepers Friend, Nevr-Dull, Mothers etc...I also have various grades of fine sandpaper. To me, sandpaper seems drastic, but I don't know any better and am just putting that out there.

I've never really tried restoring anything made out of aluminum before, so I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions. Thanks!!

Ray

Posted on 12 years ago

The Mothers aluminum polish should be fine. You can always use a buffing wheel on them too. If you have a bench grinder Home Depot sells buffing wheels. Or Dremel has a polishing kit as well. I don't think you'd need to wetsand them with emory cloth.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Is it clear coated or not? I wouldn't think older aluminium would be clear coated; mothers would be good. I have a funny feeling it's not cleared. There's a cool ball one uses to polish wheels with. Test a small spot to make certain you won't hurt anything.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here