Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Old Fibes w 18, To re-Wrap or Not

Thanks for all the valuable information submitted to this website. I was given a copper covered Martin era Fibes w/ 18" Kick, 12, 14" floor. To me the copper covering is not the most attractive of coverings and the badge on the floor tom is bent...was thinking of doing a new wrap. I was told old kits w/ 18's are considered somewhat rare, First, is this true? Second, will changing the wrap destroy it's value as a collectable, (it's present value or it's value down the road). The kit sounds great as is... I use it in my rehearsal room and don't gig on it. Thanks.

Mike[/B]

Posted on 16 years ago

Yes to both - older kits with 18" bass drums are pretty hard to come by and re-wrapping definitely brings down the value (at least in today's market).

Clearly they're yours and if they're the favourite kit then maybe consider a re-wrap (copper was always a difficult finish to keep nice and from memory they weighed a ton) - or just sell them to somebody who'll dig 'em as they are and get another vintage kit that you'll for what it is (not it could become).

Posted on 16 years ago

"...love it for what it is and not what it could become" A wonderful thing to keep in mind regarding drums and just about anything else....nice perspective. thanks... I'll keep 'em as is and enjoy them for what they are, cause I know I'd regret selling them or modifying them in any way.

Posted on 16 years ago

Would've been even more poetic and meaningful if I'd actually remember to put the word "love" in there instead of leaving it up to everyone's imagination - but you got it.

Posted on 16 years ago

The copper wrap on the drums probably affects the sound a lot.

Harrison
Posted on 16 years ago

Does it help in a positive way? do you know how or why?

thanks,

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here