Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Old Cadet kick from dump

Hey guys I've decided to restore the old Cadet kick I found in the dump.My first restoration so could use some help. Think I have the paint removal beat, but don't have a clue how to do the bearing edges or even know if they need to be done. I have taken some pics but my main puter lost it's hardrive so can't post just yet. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I hope your computer finds its hardrive...I hate it when that happens.

New, it's a '50's or '60's Japanese shell, so it's likely the edges ain't too good. If they are just rounded edges, instead of beveled interior w/ rounded exterior, that's typical but kind of a bummer because it's not a good edge, and less of a good edge in that it's Japanese '60's version of it.

BUT, if it's beveled interior, rounded exterior, then it may well just need a nice gentle sanding w/ 120 gr. followed by 200 or so gr.

Put the drum on a flat surface and see if it rocks back and forth...both edges. Peek in between the edges and teh flat surface, are there arny gaps or light coming thru.

If yes to either, then the edges are out of level. If just a teeny bit, it's no problem. But if noticeably, then they kinda need to be leveled and recut.

Recutting:

1) Routing table....do you know anyone who has a routing table ?

2) Cabinetmaker: lil' secret, if you know anyone w/ a woodshop, such as a cabinetmaker, they can likely rout the edges for you.

If this is the route you take (no pun intended) I suggest routing a sharper edge than these usually have. A 45 degree bevel on the interior, cut set deep enough so as to create a sharp bearing edge.

Once routed, come back at it with 180 gr. sandpaper just to smooth out any splintery areas. You will be set.

Pics of that edge would help...so when you can get to it...

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here