Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Old Brass Lud

Looking for help and direction for my snare. I have an old brass ludwig that I am not sure of its age, and I dont really know much about it actually. I'm not really a collector, I have just has this set since I was a kid. The snare I came across in a box of "junk" pieces when I was buying a second Remo kit to make the one I had a double bass kit. (I started playing in the 80's.... :) ) The box came with the remo kit . I used it cause I wanted the deeper snare sound instead of what I was playing at the time. It was scratched up and painted black so I was taking the paint off so I could put fresh paint when I found it was brass. I put newer style rims,(Newer back in the 80's) and just kept polishing it, never repainted it.

Now for my question.... I have the original rims, they need to be re-stored or maybe replaced with a set in better condition. They are in shape, just that one of them is pretty rusty looking. Also, I only have 2 of the hook style lugs used on that style rim so I will need a set of those as well. The shell itself could use a freshening up as well. The inside is still painted black. I never finished taking the paint from the inside. Only took it off the outside. So it could use a complete, hardware off restoration. Anyone here into that or that could lead me in the right direction? Thanks, Ben D' Drummer

1 attachments

Early to Mid 60's Slingerland 4 piece Black Beauty kit
13",14", and 18" and a 22" Bass
with even older 20s or 30s era Deep Ludwig Brass Snare

15 in Zildjian Avedis hi hats
18 in med Zildjian Avedis crash
18 in thin Zildjian Avedis crash
20 in Zildjian Avedis ride
Posted on 14 years ago

Pretty easy. Most of the drum supply places will have the clips and, if you want to replace them, single flanged rims. I just got a set from Explorers Percussion. Definately worth doing, the replacement hoops probably have the rods at a slight angle. Not good for those old tube lugs! I'd pull the whole thing apart, strip the paint, polish it up, and play the heck out of it. Check the rims for any id. I've got an old Pioneer that looks similar that's been dated as early '20's. Great drum for gigging........Bill D.

Posted on 14 years ago

Ben,

Jonnistix gave me your number, but I lost it. If that's for sale, PM me, I'm interested

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Here are some better pix of the drum, rims that should be on it and the clips.

Posted on 14 years ago

8 Or 6 Lugs?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

It has 6 lugs

Posted on 14 years ago

With 6 lugs, it's considered a student snare, not as valuable if it were an 8 or 10 lugger, but still collectible

Posted on 14 years ago

Here it is with the set.

1 attachments

Posted on 14 years ago

From backbeatkeeper

With 6 lugs, it's considered a student snare, not as valuable if it were an 8 or 10 lugger, but still collectible

VERY collectible. You don't see those every day. Is it a seamless shell?

Norm

1964 Slingerland Stage Band in Black Diamond Pearl
Posted on 14 years ago

Not sure if it has a seem. I'll have to look inside and see if I can find one. Guessing I am hoping NOT to find a seem?

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here