Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Oh S#*t my wrap's cracking

I have a nice gold sparkle late 50's Gretsch kit.

When I bought the drums a few years ago I had to restore them but I did nothing to the finish. The wrap is superb on all drums except for a 2" crack that was near a lug and now has migrated to the lug and around one side of the lug. There is no way I want to take the wrap off this original drum unless I have to at some point.

Is there any way to stop the migration of the crack?

I put some glue with gold sparkle in the crack when I got the drum in 2009. I made it less noticable but really did not fix it of course.

The one photo shows the overall finish. It's pretty nice and too bad it has that one small split in it.

Posted on 12 years ago

Boy I cant think of anything off the top of my head. Nice looking drums! I will let you know if I think of anything.

Jc

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

Storing the drum where the temperature is always a constant would probably help. These Pennsylvania roads tell me that freezing and thawing aren't good for "little" cracks, they grow into big cracks, and fast!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 12 years ago

I never take them out of the house and I try to keep the temperature constant. It might vary a few degrees here and there. But, ya, I can see how expanding and contracting will affect the crack. In the meantime I will search for some information on how to stop/slow and/or repair it. If there is nothing I can do about it some day I will just have to rewrap it ....no big deal, but I'd rather not do that.

Posted on 12 years ago

I found this - makes sense. I will give it a try.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=29930

Thanks guys!

Posted on 12 years ago

I've been there! In the late 60's I had an R-360 Rodgers set with no cases and after a late nite gig, left them overnight in the back seat of my car in below-freezing temperatures. The next morning I overslept and was late to work, but for lack of time, left them in the car. Rolling slightly during the ride to work in the morning caused them to crack so badly that they had to be redone. Extreme temperature changes and musical instruments don't mix.

Posted on 12 years ago

Gary - just continue doing what you've been doing... fix them as you find them. You did a good job on the ones you filled and added sparkle to. The glue/filler helps to stabilize the crack, and the repair doesn't look too shabby either.

Keep up with the cracks for as long as you can. At some point, they will just need to be stripped and rewrapped. But that may be years off in the future if you continue to put out the little fires as you discover them.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here