Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Oh please help!!

What kind of knots are you supposed to tie on snare cord to prevent it from slipping?? I tried slip knots and double square knots and after I wack the drum a few times, the snares loosen up; its not the strainer, I know that. Im using brand new snare cord. Any ideas?? Thanks

Posted on 17 years ago

Try using any kind of fishing knot, a Berkely knot is the best.........Soap Box

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

What kind of knots are you supposed to tie on snare cord to prevent it from slipping?? I tried slip knots and double square knots and after I wack the drum a few times, the snares loosen up; its not the strainer, I know that. Im using brand new snare cord. Any ideas?? Thanks

One reason is that brand new snare chord tends to have a breaking in period where it stretches. You could try those mylar strips or cut some of your own from an old drumhead...but I prefer regular brade snare chord because it tends to flex more.

By the way....I use a square not.

The problem with the slipping might be related to the gripper things at the throwoff end or at the butt end or both.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

thanks for the replies guys!

I tried using a square knot at first but the cord was too slippery and the knot moved. The method I'm using doesnt involve the sorta vice-like things on the strainer and butt-end, my strainer is older so it simply has holes to put the cord through, as does the butt-end so essentially I have to tie the cord to itself. But! I tried to use whats called the Angler's knot--and it did the trick. I dont know much about the snare-aspect of drums yet, haha so Im learning in terms of the sound and how it relates to the snare tension. But thanks so much for the advice! We'll see how much this cord stretches.

Posted on 17 years ago

A proper square knot won't slip, as it tightens against itself. You're probably doing a "granny" knot. I'm sure, on the net, you could find a picture of a proper square knot. That's all I use, and the snares haven't loosened in 40 yrs...

It's hard to explain, but if the right side string goes "over" on the first knot, the second time it should go "under"...

Posted on 17 years ago

Guys!

Square knots are correct... and the BEST knot for snare cord for the reasons afore mentioned. So,

Here's the EASIEST WAY to make a proper square knot everytime:

RIGHT over LEFT... pull tight ... LEFT over RIGHT... done! These are all I have ever used on ALL my snare drums. They don't ever let go or slip. O-Lugs is correct though: NEW snare cord will stretch a tad... so ... after it does, put in a fresh square knot.

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

great--ill try it out! Thanks so much!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here