Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Oddball Gretsch

I'll put some pics up in the next couple days, but I'm having a heck of a time dating some drums I picked up cheap at an antique show.

Quick rundown-

black paint/lacquer Gretsch Name Band snare 4 x 14 with six tube lugs

I'm fairly sure it's 3 ply w/o rings and possibly poplar inside, renown throwoff, straight hoops and claws

matching 14 x 24 BD single tension same interior

clamp on hoop spurs and original pedal.

The tube lugs are throwing me off big time, I don't have the Gretsch history book and I can't find any other info online. I'll try to have some pics tomorrow. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted on 17 years ago
Posted on 17 years ago

Hey,

I've got the same snare but in WMP. I had no idea who made it until now.

Thanks!

Posted on 17 years ago

That's not a renown throw-off, and it's not a "name band" snare drum. That, I believe, is an earlier era Gretsch (they called it something like" Super American" or something like that. It's from when Gretsch was "jobbing" out drums made from components of other drum companies. The throw-off looks like a Leedy "presto" which will also be found on the first Rogers drums.

Posted on 17 years ago

As you can see in the picture of the snare shell, it says "name band" right under the gretsch logo which is actually slightly raised. What I'm looking for are possible dates and any other info from people who might have similar drums.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here