Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Oddball Bass Drum Sizes-Ludwig

Something I've kicked around with my buddy over the years, and him asking me about such today again.

Of how many such drums have I ever heard about or seen? I told him basically none personally, but I'm no Ludwig authority either.

In particular, his 1965 Ludwig Silver Sparkle Set came with a 12x22 Bass Drum. The set's history is known, and authentic, this wasn't a cobbled together kit.

My thoughts was that possibly in 1965 with the Ringo craze going on, perhaps Ludwig was finding themselves short handed of shells, and were drilling shallower shells on hand for spurs-consolette-cymbal arm that were originally manufactured for Marching use?

I think his drum is of course rare and unusual, but also wonder if there were other such oddballs in other sizes, 12x20, 12x24, etc that people have seen?

Posted on 2 years ago

Not that rare. It's a New Yorker. They were made with a shallower bass drum with the thought that gigging drummers in New York or any other city who had to rely on schlepping their gear in a taxi would have an easier time getting their drums in and out of a cab. They actually didn't come with a floor tom, of course one could easily be added.

Posted on 2 years ago
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Yes, he sent me that page, said it was from a '64 Luddy Catalog, but couldn't find a '65 Catalog to see what was listed.

Yep, his Cymbal Arm is the same, merely telescopes in-out, not an L-Arm configuration.

So yes, a New Yorker but his came with a 9x13, not 8x12 Rack Tom, and also a 16x16 Floor Tom.

The set was originally bought in Chicago back then, was another then friend of mine who was the original owner, so probably an easy thing, a dealer picks the phone up, the factory was local, tell them what you wanted, no problemo.

Posted on 2 years ago

Even if he wasn't in Chicago, it was easy enough for the dealer to order any configuration the customer wanted. They could even substitute items with what they had in stock. Ludwig most likely didn't stock any given configuration in big box. Individual drums and parts would be pulled and/or assembled from stock.

I know that there are people who have kits with sequential serial numbers, but I suspect that is not the norm. If Ludwig assembled ordered kits from parts and badged then at the time of assembly, that could account for the numbers being sequential. There are plenty of pictures of WFL and WFL II standing in front of huge stacks of raw wrapped and painted shells in their warehouse and there are other pictures of stacks of finished drums too.

Posted on 2 years ago

From thin shell

Even if he wasn't in Chicago, it was easy enough for the dealer to order any configuration the customer wanted. They could even substitute items with what they had in stock. Ludwig most likely didn't stock any given configuration in big box. Individual drums and parts would be pulled and/or assembled from stock. I know that there are people who have kits with sequential serial numbers, but I suspect that is not the norm. If Ludwig assembled ordered kits from parts and badged then at the time of assembly, that could account for the numbers being sequential. There are plenty of pictures of WFL and WFL II standing in front of huge stacks of raw wrapped and painted shells in their warehouse and there are other pictures of stacks of finished drums too.

I've thought of all of this you speak about for decades now.

For sure how I thought how cool it could have been to walk into either or both the Ludwig or Slingerland Plants at the time, those fabulous 40's-60's.

And having "hung out" at Frank's Drum Shop in Chicago in their heyday, '65-'70, you cannot imagine the amount of drums and percussion instruments I have laid my eyes on.

Sets stacked to the Ceiling, equipment of all sorts coming in, and going out. The large amount of commercial equipment, used for whatever, sound effects-traps, Gongs that stood taller than me, you'd need 3-4 strong guys to carry it.

Without a doubt, Maurie Lishon could've got you anything you wanted!

He sold me my first set, 64 clubdate in pink champagne, festival 5x14 snare.

At 6 months my teacher Phil joked and said I was already better than Ringo! LOL.

Phil (Stanger) was a good teacher was why, and was a "hard teacher" as well.

I think I learned a little self defense, as you often got jabbed in the ribs with a stick. Was like that Mountain Dew "Chinese Slap Master" Commercial! LOL

He'd reel you back in though, he'd take that piece he required you to play, and turn it into Beethoven's 5th. Then sitting there playing one handed rolls for days. Yep, he'd make your jaw hit the floor.

He made you say "OK buddy boy, buckle down now, don't waste his time, or yours.

Posted on 2 years ago

As for "Catalogs" and walking into Frank's Drum Shop every Saturday morning, there was so much paper literature,

Any "Info" types were all free for the taking, and I had them all back then over many years. You name the drum-percussion company, I had the catalogs! Stacks, and threw most away.

Music Instruction Books, sure, Maurie had anything-everything you could think of. Timbales, Congas, Timpani, Marimbas-Vibes,

Thanks to all, I enjoy chatting with all you fine folks.

The thread sort of shot down one of my old mistaken beliefs about my buddy Jay's set, which he's had and kept since 1974. His set is drop dead beautiful, maybe I can soon post a pic or two here.

Here is an ensemblage of the original 65 set he owns. Not of course properly set up it looks, but there it is, with the 12x22 bass drum.

He somehow sadly lost 2 original Cymbal Stands from the set, and about 5 years ago called me in to help him. And I scored for him, with a seller-member of this forum BTW.

He got the right stuff, and in superb condition.

I always think of Morello's signature set when I see my buddy's. He also studied with Phil at Frank's, and with Bobby Christian for a short while.

Bobby and Phil, they were just 2, who came from the teachings of Roy C Knapp. I knew Roy. He gave me my NARD Test, July 1968. Yeah, I kept the trinket of passing. LOL

Here's his set, the original consist back in 74 from another friend of mine. Great set! I've played it too many times to count. Came with the Squeak King, and nice Hi-Hat Stand.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/67684107_2266454940141535_7702544960817463296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=174925&_nc_ohc=05V5rchLR5EAX-fjwWP&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=00_AT8YuZQqI_PWoFCclS_VTahxHXMDcl2cgpe4fUxYg23FgQ&oe=62E5FD16

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here